S5 vertical rod rubbing

Link

Posted (edited) · S5 vertical rod rubbing

Hi,

I have had my S5 for over a year and have always noticed that the left vertical rod would rub on the bed cover (see picture), when the printer is cold it actually creates some friction so the bed movement is noisy (i usually need to abort the first print and allow the bed to warm the build volume and hence the rods for the noise to go - not and issue in summer). Essentially the the holes in the cover are not quite in the right place and a solution would be to slightly enlarge the left one. Can anyone advise on this, how hard is it to get that cover off, or can i somehow move the cover over to reduce the rubbing ?.

I can remember another member had the same issue on a S5 and he took it to bits to enlarge the whole.

@SandervG Any ideas ? 🙂

Thanks

Screenshot_20201116-081647_Photos.jpg

Edited by Link

Posted · S5 vertical rod rubbing

Hi @Link thank you for your message. I think it is more assembly than design. 

Unfortunately it is rather tricky to take out that part, not something I could really recommend. Let me check with some product experts what they do recommend instead, thanks. 

Thanks @SandervG

so i decided to get on and fix it (and learn a bit about how the printer is put together), it cannot be good for print quality to have that side rubbing so badly and could explain some inconsistency i see between layers from time to time.

Anyway, i went a bit further than mka did and removed the bed and consequently the plastic cover completely as to not risk damaging the bearings by drilling in-situ. Overall it wasn't too hard, extra care needs to be taken when accessing a screw for one of the vertical rods as it sits under the main PCP, it's easy enough to move out of the way but be gentle. The rest is pretty straight forward. Remove the base, disconnect the speaker, unbolt the fans, remove the vertical rails, remove the lead screw stepper. Carefully remove the plastic cover from the print bed, its just clipped on either side. Open the hole out... 🙂

I took the oppotiniuty to clean the rods, bearings and lead screw before putting it all back together.

just completed a test print, all fine now with no rubbing, happy days. I need to print some circles to check for axle alignment and correct that if the frame has moved at all from carefully putting it onto it's side, hopefully not as getting the pulleys nice and tight so they don't keep coming loose is a pain.

Anyway, if anyone else has this issue its not a massive effort to correct

• Thanks 1

Nice, that is not something I would recommend to everyone but amazing that you managed to do it all without instructions. Hopefully it is all put back together properly and you'll be able to print reliably without any rubbing. Nice job!

2 minutes ago, SandervG said:

Nice, that is not something I would recommend to everyone but amazing that you managed to do it all without instructions. Hopefully it is all put back together properly and you'll be able to print reliably without any rubbing. Nice job!

Thanks, tbh i was slow and methodical (and took photos), so no reason in reality why it should not be fine, the rods can only go back in one way, same for the lead screw. If anyone else gives this a go, be super careful around the pcp boards wiring etc. Also be careful around moving the printer itself, carelessness can knock the frame out of square. 

Alternately if you do have this rubbing issue with the table cover so you can reach it, you can unseat the table cover and use a scalpel to trim away a little of the plastic. Considerably less disassembly effort.

indeed, i did consider trying that, but could not see how to get a scalpel around the side of the rod with the cover just sliding up and down on it... also scratching the rod with a scalpel would def be an option ... tricky. I could not really see or even reach the clips that undo the cover, that cover is what holds the linear bearings into the bed, if those clips got damaged or did not seat back properly then the bearings would rise out of the build plate. I was pretty sure something was going to get broken or scratched trying the simpler way... 🙂, maybe thats just me..