match machine settings

giugni

Posted · match machine settings

Hello all,

I'm quite new in the 3D printing world

My company has a makerbot replicator+

I dont like the makerbot own slicer so i bought simplify3D because has ready to use profile for this printer that is working smoothly (i think so)

now we are waiting our second 3D printer, a creatbot F430

it has its own slicer: creatware that looks like a Cura fork

So i am thinking to use cura instead creatware and to do so, i am trying to match the Cura custom printer settings with  the creaware default setting  

Furthermore i am checking the default simplify3D profile for the creatbot F430, if it seems similar to the creatware original profile but it seems different

there are some things that go further my poor knowledge: 

first, the machine setting:

cura want only negative values, i don't understand why and i believe that it is not the same thing as creatware

2020-11-17_14h15_45.thumb.png.ae800a56d6359791b34d0ee80617d039.png

G-code flavor?

in creatware i can't find the value so i checked in simplify3D where is selected the reprap, but in cura we have different choices:

2020-11-17_14h39_36.thumb.png.862b85abca09a701771b99464026bc31.png

the second extruder offset:

in creatware is 72mm so i write that in cura but in simplify3D is different??:

2020-11-17_14h23_16.thumb.png.0341c586d599292e2c792476da8324e4.png

both starting and ending G-code is different in all 3 slicer:

2020-11-17_14h31_39.thumb.png.974a898da637f36bb79f77b9203fbcb3.png

I am trying to use cura insted of creatware because obviusly is better

i thought that with this creatbot F430 it should be more compatible with cura insted of simplify3D because creatware is a cura fork

probably if i use simplify3D with the default creatbot f430 profile, it will work nicely as the makerbot does, but i want to undestand more

it should be "easy" to exchange these 3 slicer, so i can take the best from all

Thanks everyone that will help!

First I should warn you that there are something like 100 machine settings that aren't shown in these dialogs unfortunately.  You can include CAD files of your printer to make it prettier in the GUI for example.  But it should be enough to get good prints for most printers.  Also document what you did well because sometimes when you upgrade Cura (rarely) you get messed up profiles and the solution is to blow away all user files (like printer settings).

Next, "creatware" is a fork of an older version of Cura.  Cura version 15.X I think (15 refers to 2015).  Cura 2.X came out that year or the next.  Now we are at Cura 4.X.  Cura 15.X was an excellent version of Cura so don't think there is anything wrong with it just because it is "old".  In fact some people claim it produces nicer looking prints.  So it should be easier to convert between creatware and cura settings although some things have changed (and 400 parameters were added - yup - 400).

Printhead settings - yes it looks like you are right and they switched to negative.  This is only used when printing in "one at a time mode" where you have multiple STL files and you print one to completion, then put the nozzle back to the glass and print another.  It's to avoid the print head hitting earlier completed prints.  It's the distance from the nozzle to the 4 "sides" of the print head - the "bounding box" if you will.  The other critical value is "gantry height" and cura won't go into "one at a time mode" if any of the STL files are taller than the gantry height (why it doesn't print the shorter parts first - I don't know).

flavor - these are minor changes (usually).  reprap printers use Marlin as far as I know so I always thought that was weird.  None of this seems to be documented well but I recommend "Marlin" as that I think matches best to Creatware.  "volumetric" is where E values are in cubic mm instead of linear mm.  That way you can change filaments on the printer without making a new gcode file.  That's a rare feature.  Ultigcode is for Ultimaker printers only.  I don't know the differences of the rest, sorry.

"second extruder offset" is if you have two extruders in the same head.  It's the distance between them.  Do you have that?  You can use a ruler to get it roughly.  Are you doing dual extruder prints?  Because if so this complicates things a lot.  There are many different implementations of dual extruders and I don't know that  Cura supports them all.

As far as "start" gcodes this gets a little more complicated.  Cura will add more start gcodes automatically like setting the nozzle temp.  If you add one of these in the start gcodes then cura will see that you did that and not add the nozzle temp a second time.  The brackets thing - the names probably haven't changed from creatware but they might have.  In the old cura 15.X (creatware) it was easy because the names of things like bed temp and nozzle temp matched exactly the names in the GUI (except spaces and capitalization I think but it was consistent).  Someone published the names of all the Cura 4.X names (like nozzle temp) on this forum.  In fact I remember Aldo did it ( I think he has 2 cura names and I forget which he uses - I think this one: @ahoeben )

I would try the default gcodes, slice and save a gcode file and examine it.

Some of the older Makerbot printers don't accept gcode at all - they have some kind of shorthand to save space.  I guess this was back when we had to put gcode files on floppies maybe?  (I'm kidding - it wasn't that long ago - I don't know why they tried to save a little space - I think that turned out to be a bad decision).  I'm not sure if Makerbot accepts normal gcode these days.

• Like 2

Thank you for your reply

Just to be more clear 

i' am using simplify3D for the makerbot replicator+, becouse i am a novice so i bought this slicer for the "ready to use profile" for makerbot, but now i see that even Cura can export ".makerbot" gcode files so it would be cool to try cura on the makerbot

but there are a lot of parameters to set that i dont know.

So right now it would be cool if i can run a gcode made by cura on the creatbot printer, copying the settings from creatware.

You are saing that there a more or less 100 profiles that are not shown in the cura setup wizard

i already checked the github but i havn't seen one for creatbot f430 😞

but maybe i didn't seach in the right folder

The CAD files to show the printer in the GUI is not important to us, don't worry.

do backup 😉

Yep, i was pretty sure that creatware is based on a older cura version, that is another reason to use the original update Cura instead creatware.

I understand that  Printhead settings are for avoid collision but i dont know if the cura negative values correspond to creatware positive values, it's the same writing them in negative?

Ok so let's try the default marling flavor in cura... as simplify3D sets

Yep the creatbot has 2 extruder in the same head, so i measure the distance between the 2 nozzle tips and insert the value here....but why the offset in simplify3D is  -20mm and in creatware 72mm ??

both should be correct, i don't think that simplify3D is wrong but it's not clear for me why it's -20mm.

right now i am not planning to do dual extruder prints.

Starting and ending gcode 

i dont undestand if it is better to copy that from creatbot or not

i don't have the knowledge to spot the differences from simplify3D start/end gcode from the creatware start/end gcode or Cura ones.

i dont know how much this influence the print

I'm pretty sure you are right about the positive/negative numbers but again - it won't matter unless you print multiple parts in "one at a time" mode. 

And the nozzle distance - I have no idea why one would be 72 - sorry.  21 sounds like a more common nozzle distance to me.  Dual printing is complicated.  Most printers use T0 to mean switch to the first extruder and T1 for the second and use E for both extruders.  Some printers use E0 for the first and E1 for the second and don't even mention a T command.  So some printers if you want to heat the second nozzle you need two commands: T1 and then the heat nozzle command.  Other printers you specifiy the nozzle in the nozzle temperature command .  It's a mess when you go dual.  Some printers have 2 heads so you have to move one out of the way before switching "tools" with the T command.  These might have 2 different nozzle fans.  Some printers you have to go pick up a tool and that part is in the gcode with X Y movements.  Other printers do this automatically when you change tools.  

Do this:

1) Find a working gcode file or just use known working "start" gcodes.  go here and look them all up.  Write down on a piece of paper, each gcode in the start list and what they do.  It's quite simple - there are only a few like "set nozzle temp and wait for it to reach that temp" "set nozzle temp but don't wait - jump to next gcode" "set bed temp" "turn on fan".  "home all axes" and a few more.

https://reprap.org/wiki/G-code

2) Don't touch the cura start codes.  Slice any small model and save the gcode file.  Open the gcode file and compare those gcodes to the ones you know work perfectly.  Everything should make sense - the order will be different and so on but if there is anything critical missing in the cura generated ones ONLY THEN should you edit your start gcodes.

Ask questions if in doubt.

• Like 1

copy of old post with more info about machine settings:

=======
    modifying settings for your particular printer
    Some of them you can edit here:
    Machine settings are usually here:  go to left side of screen in PREPARE mode.  Click on your printer, then do "manage printers" then "machine settings", then "extruder 1". 

Alternatively, you can edit them with the printer settings plugin:
    Click "marketplace" in upper right of cura, make sure you are on "plugins", scroll down and alphabetically among the "P"s is "printer settings" plugin.

Finally you can edit the json file with your printer settings here.  The files are in a "definitions" folder *somewhere* on your computer (no idea how to find this folder on a PC - maybe in c:/program files/ultimaker/??  Here are 10 of the files out of about 106 different printer configuration files.  Find your printer.

geo@geo-Wild-Dog-Pro:~/cura/share/cura/resources/definitions$ grep -R -i material_diameter *
    101Hero.def.json:        "material_diameter": { "default_value": 1.75 },
    3dator.def.json:        "material_diameter": { "default_value": 1.75 },
    abax_pri3.def.json:        "material_diameter": {
    abax_pri5.def.json:        "material_diameter": {
    abax_titan.def.json:        "material_diameter": {
    anycubic_i3_mega.def.json:        "material_diameter":
    bfb.def.json:        "material_diameter": { "default_value": 1.7 },
    bq_hephestos_2.def.json:        "material_diameter": { "default_value": 1.75 },
    bq_hephestos.def.json:        "material_diameter": {
    bq_hephestos_xl.def.json:        "material_diameter": {
    bq_witbox_2.def.json:        "material_diameter": {
    bq_witbox.def.json:        "material_diameter": {
    builder_premium_large.def.json:        "material_diameter": { "default_value": 1.75 },
    builder_premium_medium.def.json:        "material_diameter": { "default_value": 1.75 },
    builder_premium_small.def.json:        "material_diameter": { "default_value": 1.75 },

44 minutes ago, gr5 said:

copy of old post with more info about machine settings:

=======
    modifying settings for your particular printer
    Some of them you can edit here:
    Machine settings are usually here:  go to left side of screen in PREPARE mode.  Click on your printer, then do "manage printers" then "machine settings", then "extruder 1". 

Alternatively, you can edit them with the printer settings plugin:
    Click "marketplace" in upper right of cura, make sure you are on "plugins", scroll down and alphabetically among the "P"s is "printer settings" plugin.

Finally you can edit the json file with your printer settings here.  The files are in a "definitions" folder *somewhere* on your computer (no idea how to find this folder on a PC - maybe in c:/program files/ultimaker/??  Here are 10 of the files out of about 106 different printer configuration files.  Find your printer.

geo@geo-Wild-Dog-Pro:~/cura/share/cura/resources/definitions$ grep -R -i material_diameter *
    101Hero.def.json:        "material_diameter": { "default_value": 1.75 },
    3dator.def.json:        "material_diameter": { "default_value": 1.75 },
    abax_pri3.def.json:        "material_diameter": {
    abax_pri5.def.json:        "material_diameter": {
    abax_titan.def.json:        "material_diameter": {
    anycubic_i3_mega.def.json:        "material_diameter":
    bfb.def.json:        "material_diameter": { "default_value": 1.7 },
    bq_hephestos_2.def.json:        "material_diameter": { "default_value": 1.75 },
    bq_hephestos.def.json:        "material_diameter": {
    bq_hephestos_xl.def.json:        "material_diameter": {
    bq_witbox_2.def.json:        "material_diameter": {
    bq_witbox.def.json:        "material_diameter": {
    builder_premium_large.def.json:        "material_diameter": { "default_value": 1.75 },
    builder_premium_medium.def.json:        "material_diameter": { "default_value": 1.75 },
    builder_premium_small.def.json:        "material_diameter": { "default_value": 1.75 },

I am looking for a Ender 5 Profile with Dual Extrusion. I downloaded & installed the "Printer Settings Plugin" but could not find anything about it on my machine. It says installed when I click on the Marketplace button under Installed.

Please advise what I am missing. Thanks.

16 hours ago, gr5 said:

Finally you can edit the json file with your printer settings here.

Out of the three, this one is a fairly bad idea. You would have to do it over and over when you install a new version of Cura, whereas the other two will carry over (as long as you don't uninstall your settings when installing a new version of Cura).

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · match machine settings

I am in touch with the creatbot support

they sent me two Cura profiles, one for each extruder (standard & peek)

and the machine settings tabs 😄

with all theese informations, i can start or there are other things that i need to set?

in the start g-code can i write G29 after G28 for ABL with the probe? or i have to set/add other commands for ABL?

thanks

printer.thumb.png.9a3e20bc8fbb87bcaaa927c05a2ea344.png462977814_extruder2.thumb.png.81383dc906816924e6412e647daab56e.png1913445432_extruder1.thumb.png.8002689b3501bef040347963af4a7aeb.png

creatbot F430 .curaprofile creatbot F430 PEEK.curaprofile

Edited by giugni

Sorry I'm new to this, we just received a F430 printer, how can I add this Cura profile to the software?

thank you in advance..

On 11/19/2020 at 11:00 AM, giugni said:

with all theese informations, i can start or there are other things that i need to set?

in the start g-code can i write G29 after G28 for ABL with the probe? or i have to set/add other commands for ABL?

thanks

printer.thumb.png.9a3e20bc8fbb87bcaaa927c05a2ea344.png462977814_extruder2.thumb.png.81383dc906816924e6412e647daab56e.png1913445432_extruder1.thumb.png.8002689b3501bef040347963af4a7aeb.png

creatbot F430 .curaprofile 3.28 kB · 20 downloads creatbot F430 PEEK.curaprofile 3.56 kB · 5 downloads

I'am used mankati fullscale xt plus and default profiles.

ironing, it is what I wanted.
    Petg ironing looks great

1.jpg

On 11/19/2020 at 2:00 AM, giugni said:

thanks

creatbot F430 .curaprofile 3.28 kB · 69 downloads creatbot F430 PEEK.curaprofile 3.56 kB · 42 downloads

Have these profiles been working for people? I have an f430 on its way and surprised to not see a profile in Cura for it and hope to continue being able to use Cura.

Posted (edited) · match machine settings

The printer definitions are written by the printer manufacturers (or a representative hired by them).  They submit the definitions to Ultimaker for inclusion in Cura.  You would need to go back and check with the manufacturer.  They are the ones responsible as the definitions should include any limits and variations that their machines might require.  Those will include the printer definition file, extruder definition files, and nozzle files, that a particular printer will accept.

With one hot end capable of 420° you will need your own definition files.  Looking at the Craftbot site it looks like part of the software bundle is Cura.  Their branch should have definition files for the printer.

Edited by GregValiant

Good Day Gents

Who has completed the full setup for their F430 in Cura? 

I've been wanting to transition to Cura for a year or so now and just don't have the time and skill set to do all the setup.

I am happy to PAY for someone to teamviewer onto my PC and complete the entire setup for me and include a few print profiles for ABS and ASA and maybe a quick demonstration of using the program. 

I would also like a few photos of ABS & ASA prints from your F430 using your Cura Profiles. 

If anyone can take care of this please email me Stefanetter@iee.nz and let me know how much you need to take care of it. 

I can also offer 3D Scanning in exchange for your services. 

Kind Regards 
    Stefan Etter
    New Zealand

On 8/26/2021 at 12:08 PM, StefanEtter said:

Good Day Gents

Who has completed the full setup for their F430 in Cura? 

I've been wanting to transition to Cura for a year or so now and just don't have the time and skill set to do all the setup.

I am happy to PAY for someone to teamviewer onto my PC and complete the entire setup for me and include a few print profiles for ABS and ASA and maybe a quick demonstration of using the program. 

I would also like a few photos of ABS & ASA prints from your F430 using your Cura Profiles. 

If anyone can take care of this please email me Stefanetter@iee.nz and let me know how much you need to take care of it. 

I can also offer 3D Scanning in exchange for your services. 

Kind Regards 
    Stefan Etter
    New Zealand

Have you had any success in converting over to Cura on your F430?

Our F430 was delivered this week and the Creatware software is terrible. I can slice once and then it won't allow me to slice again till after a full restart.

I tried doing a cusotm machine setup and can get the printer working, but the same model sliced with Cura way under extrudes as compared to the one sliced in Creatware.

I'm going to try and get the definition files shared above to work with my Cura.

Where in NZ are you based? I'm in Nelson.

On 11/19/2020 at 10:00 PM, giugni said:

thanks

creatbot F430 .curaprofile 3.28 kB · 251 downloads creatbot F430 PEEK.curaprofile 3.56 kB · 127 downloads

Are there any instruction on how to import and or copy the definition files into Cura please?

I downloaded them , but the filehas no file type and there are some odd characters added to the front and end of the filename.

Also looking at the code inside it seems there might be some corruption on some of the lines with unexpected characters in the code.

Thanks