Gap filling could be done better?

endre

Posted · Gap filling could be done better?

Hi,

Thanks for creating this cool software and making it available for me!

I'd like share some of my thoughts about gap filling.

image.thumb.png.d27b5c9f76aa6b58ca4bc9b98f3cf340.png

So as I see, where the gap width is higher than the extrusion width, the gap is filled with thin lines. My experience (and I may be wrong here), that this kind of filling can results "Z bumps" on the layer. Later, the moving hot-end can crash into these bumps and cause layer detachments.

Would it be possible to fill these kind of gaps, with normal extrusion width and width high frequency and low amplitude sinus wave pattern? Or triangle wave pattern? That could be easier to implement.

Hops. I was false again. On the mentioned area the gap width is lower than the extrusion width.....

I have no idea how to avoid this, maybe the model have to be planned together with the printing parameters...

"maybe the model have to be planned together with the printing parameters..."

That is often the case and there are a lot of people who fail to understand that.  The printers are very accurate when the model dimensions agree with what the printer and the slicer can do.  Thin walls that are an exact multiple of the nozzle size and Z dimensions that are multiples of the Layer Height make for very accurate prints and a noticeable lack of blemishes.

Gap filling is a total nightmare. It's super hard to get right. We've tried to do it by adding more and more heuristics to the "old" method of generating walls, but that was just fighting the symptoms. As such, we've now opted for a rather fundamental change in the way that the walls are generated.

As you might imagine, such a change is not a small one. In order to get this done, we have to re-write large parts of the slicing engine, which is also why it's not done yet (The bigger the change, the more likely it is that your estimations are wrong!)

I hope to be able to share an alpha build of this new strategy soon-ish (1-3 months).

• Like 3

It does it better in some cases, but worse in others (which is also why it hasn't been merged back into Cura Engine).

As a little sneakpeak, this is what "libArachne" does.

image.thumb.png.29990ccf3f3a84655961416b347ca706.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...