LED Mounting bar removal

EricG

Posted · LED Mounting bar removal

I need to replace the front sliding block on our S5 (for the second time).  It would be a lot easier to replace this block if the LED mounting bar was not in the way, so I am thinking about removing the LED strip and mounting bar, (we don't really need the LED,s, they look neat, but are not needed).  Has anyone ever removed that bar?  Does slide in a dovetail, or is it just bonded to the top cover of the printer?  I could not see any mounting screws, nor could I find an exploded view of the S5 anywhere.

@IRobertI - can you answer this?

I'm guessing that the 3 strips are in parallel such that you can remove one strip and the other 2 will be fine.  Sometimes lighting strips are in series such that if you remove one strip the voltage is too high for the rest.  I doubt this.  But I am concerned that the voltage gets to the 3rd strip through the second strip meaning that if you removed the top one you would also lose power to one of the side strips.

They seem useless and non-critical.  Until you lose that light and you will miss it.  A lot.  I recommend you keep it all intact.

I haven't had to remove the LED profile yet but as far as I know it is simply stuck in place with double sided tape, and then the LED-strip is glued to that in turn. This is what the rendering looks like which seems to show a strip of tape on the top.
    bild.thumb.png.6783ac3145b00241673e1c5549bb49db.png

Not sure why you feel the need to remove it though? Once you slide the rod out of the side of the printer it has a little bit of give to it so that you can angle it slightly (not too much though, you don't want to damage the bearing) to make it easier to slide the new block+belt assembly on there.

@gr5 There's only one LED strip on the S5, not three as in the UM2/UM3

• Like 2