Octoprint on the Ultimaker 2

Posted · Octoprint on the Ultimaker 2

Can anyone with experience in using octoprint on the UM2 lead me to a good source for a tutorial on how to install octoprint? Many resources out there are kinda old. Any help is appreciated. Also If you have installed octoprint, could you tell me what hardware you needed(especially the wifi dongle). I have a raspberry pi 4b 4gb ram model. Thanks!

You don't need any additional hardware or a WiFi dongle, the raspberry 4 has an integrated WiFi which works great.

Regarding installing Octopi, I just followed the instructions on the octopi website. Download the image and copy it the the sd Card of the raspi. That's it basically.

• Like 1

No it was not me, but it is really easy. Download the image from the download link. Then download and install the Etcher tool, which is needed to transfer the image to the SD card. When you don't need WiFi and use an erhernet cable, you can put the SD card back to the raspi and start it. With a browser go to the IP address of the raspi and follow the setup screen of octopi, that's it.

And when you need WiFi, you have to edit a file on the SD card to add your WiFi SSID and password to have it ready when the raspi starts. This a bit complicated to explain in detail, but it is described on the website of octopi.

That's it basically.....

1 hour ago, servant74 said:

I have a Ultimaker 3 but no way I have found to use it with Octoprint.  Bummer.

Due to the 2 part (technically 4?) electronic system in the Ultimaker 3. 
    It does not have a usable USB port for "tethered printing" so its not possible to use octoprint.

• Like 1