Help Improve ABS printing

Posted · Help Improve ABS printing

I am printing an object using matterhacker's ABS Black and White filament.  Heat is set to 233 speed is set to 70mm/s and the bed is at 100-C, also my Ultimaker S5 is fully enclosed.  Everything prints great except the 45 degree legs (see attached picture).  The interesting thing is that I only have the problem with 2 out of the 4 legs.  Any suggestions would be apricated. 

sample.thumb.jpg.543521c9e09bcb63eb7b37a2e18fdb16.jpg

Posted · Help Improve ABS printing

This is going to sound strange but I've found that white filaments do worse on overhangs and stringing than other colors.  I suspect they put in some kind of powder (talc?) such that less of the material is plastic by volume than other colors which use dyes.  I could be wrong about the mechanism but it doesn't seem to matter what material it is or who the manufacturer is.  White just doesn't print quite as well.

Having said that, this level of crappiness in an overhang isn't all that unusual.  Maybe that's at the level change?  Is that the only corner that is bad?  There is something called the "z seam" - maybe it's at that corner you show in the photo.  Dropping the speed to 35mm/sec will certainly help the quality but might not be worth the extra print time.

It took me 100 prints to get good at ABS - I had issues that I didn't even notice in the first dozen prints.  For example the parts were very weak due to bad layer adhesion but it was not obvious until I broke one and it broke along layer lines (unlike my PLA prints which break in more random directions).  In general, until you get really really good at it, don't be surprised if ABS prints are much weaker.