Infill Speed and Print Speed

martin7025cc

Posted · Infill Speed and Print Speed

Hi folks,

I have some question about the infill speed and the print speed...

1. Is it planned, that when i increase the infill speed also the infill of the first layer increases? I think this is not very usefull because the first layer should be printed in the Bottomlayer speed to stick perfect on the Blue Tabe.

2. I did a lot of tests because i have seen when i printed in higher speeds (such as 80mm/s...) the 100% infill and the top layer is not completly closed. There are little gaps between the print lanes. The first second and third layer are closed but when the printer reach the highest speed there are the little gaps. I increased whom Filament Flow to 106% to solve this Problem and it looks much better now, but now the first couple of layers have to much material...

Is there a Parameter in Cura to solve this or is it so and i can't change anything?

Btw. at 50 and 60mm/s, a Filament flow of 100% closes the Top Surface perfect.

Thanks for your Help.

Have a nice day

Martin

1) Yes, this is a known issue. I posted about it on here in a thread last week. I agree that it is more intuitive for the first later speed to be a cap, not to adjust according to the ratio of infill/print speed, when doing the infill.

2) What you are seeing is speed-related under-extrusion. See http://www.extrudable.me/2013/04/18/exploring-extrusion-variability-and-limits/for full details of this. If you have an ulticontroller, you can adjust the flow on the fly, or adjsut it from the print interface in Pronterface/Cura etc. Alternatively you might look at Cura plugins like TweakAtZ as a way to adjust things at certain layers of the print (I think you can adjsut the flow, but I haven't looked at it in a long time).

Alternatively, consider simply not printing infill faster than the perimeters - it's not necessarily a good idea - you might get better results printing at a constant speed, since that keeps the head pressure constant, and minimizes oozing.

regarding #1.

Illuminarti did a little experiment and if I remember right, the ratio of infill speed to printing speed is the same for the bottom layer. So for example if print speed is 100mm/sec and infill at 150mm/sec and bottom layer is 10mm/sec then the bottom layer infill will be at 15mm/sec.

This is kind of silly. In fact the infill speed should only affect the cross hatch open infill (e.g. when 20% infill) and should not affect top and bottom infill. But that's how it is right now.

Hi Guys,

As i have seen, currently it's not possible to change the Flowrate at TweakAtZ.

Is there a gcode Parameter to set the Flowrate to a higher value, as i can to it with my ulticontroller?

In this case I think it should be easy to add it to TweakAtZ.

On the other hand i understand as you have said the best result should be hit with same Infill an Print speed.

For the moment, I think, I will further Print with same speeds.

As gr5 wrote maybe there is a possibility for a fix that infill speed only affects on the infill not on the bottom an top thickness speed.

An other thing, if you have an own Parameter for infill speed Flowrate that should fix the Problem, what are you think? In this case the "standard" Flow rate ist for the Shell and bottom and Top thickness and the other Flowrate is for the Infill.

these are just my two cents about this.

Have a nice day

Martin

The Gcode to change the flow is:

M221 Saaa

where 'aaa' should be replaced with the percentage flow rate (100 = the rate coded into the gcode, and values over 100 increase the amount of extrusion, and values under 100 decrease it)

BTW, the version of TweakAtZ available here:

https://raw.github.com/Dim3nsioneer/Cura-Plugins/master/TweakAtZ.3.0.1.py

already includes flowrate, it looks like.

Because Marlin plans moves 10 or 20 line segments ahead of time, changing the feedrate (not flowrate. feedrate.) can take a few seconds to actually make a difference. The same might be true of flowrate. I don't know if this is true or not. Just warning you.

Speaking of which:

Am i the only one here who always needs to have flow set to 90% otherwise it overfills causing nozzle to get dirty etc ?

No matter the filament. I keep most settings at their default except for speed i change to 40.

Everytime i print i have to use my LCD to change flow %ntage to 90 unless i changed in in CURA prior to exporting the code to SD card.

Its not once, i allways had to.

Speaking of which:

Am i the only one here who always needs to have flow set to 90% otherwise it overfills causing nozzle to get dirty etc ?

No matter the filament. I keep most settings at their default except for speed i change to 40.

Everytime i print i have to use my LCD to change flow %ntage to 90 unless i changed in in CURA prior to exporting the code to SD card.

Its not once, i allways had to.

The Flow depends on the temperature as well. perhaps you are printing with a high temperature? Measured temp can be 20° off between printers.

You could measure/check your filament diameter as well. 2.8 or 2.9mm makes a aprox 7% difference.

It also seems strange to me that infill speed isn't just for the cross hatch pattern.

Seems like it should print the top like normal. I also found the same problem as the OP.

It also seems strange to me that infill speed isn't just for the cross hatch pattern.

Seems like it should print the top like normal. I also found the same problem as the OP.

Tonycstech - you have a non-Ultimaker, right? Have you made sure that your steps-per-mm setting for the extruder is correct?