Part 1 - Additive Manufacturing - Guitar Pickups

JerichoGuitars

Posted (edited) · Part 1 - Additive Manufacturing - Guitar Pickups

We have been beginning our work creating American Made components, Its been a journey.  We are just getting started.  After PLA and ABS printing and looking for ways to get the best surfaces, I thought I would share some of it.

https://imgur.com/z6X9wpk

Matte Black looks great but the surface will require too much post-processing.  Copper wire goes around the bobbin but the top surface obviously looks not great.  After changing some settings and working with ABS, its maybe a bit soft or not resonant enough so we tried annealing it.  Bad Idea!  PLA anneals well but it is pretty strong from the get go.

Black Tough PLA lead me to the Transparent PLA which won.

imgur.com/a/YI3YhFg

You can immediately tell by hearing the resonant properties what material is what.

http://imgur.com/a/JUaB1Xz

It has to have virtually no post processing, so we settled on 45 degree angle prints so the surface is all the same.  Its worth noting that even after the S5 cleared the material out of the nozzle, it still printed the first part of the Transparent PLA with black ABS material, probably from the print head itself.

http://imgur.com/a/jm960hy

Annealing PLA causes some distortions that aren't acceptable with this application, so later today I am going to print a few completely walled off with PVA 100% support, 100% infill and toss it in the oven to see if it distorts.  I hope not, because if it distorts in the process of creating the product, its going to be a problem..

I wound it up, got it ready to be used.  Looks great for a first draft;

http://imgur.com/a/NIS2Cim

What do you think?

Edited by JerichoGuitars
can't use block code I guess

Posted · Part 1 - Additive Manufacturing - Guitar Pickups

Hi @JerichoGuitars, thank you for your post! It sounds very interesting, but unfortunately it looks like the images you tried to attach are not visible, but a broken link. Could you perhaps have a look at this, and if possible add the images again? Thanks!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
    Posted · Part 1 - Additive Manufacturing - Guitar Pickups

I play guitar and work on mine when needed and think you may have found one of the best uses, in my humble opinion, for a 3d printer. I would also be interested in learning more about your pickups.