Issue with no z-hop over printed part even with proper settings

redoctober45

Posted · Issue with no z-hop over printed part even with proper settings

I am using the latest Cura version and am seeing an issue where a z-hop doesn't always happen when moving over a printed part.  I have both options enabled: "Z-hop when retracted" and "Z-hop only over printed parts".  It also does do a retraction, which even more confuses me why it's not doing a z-hop as well.

• Like 1

I have no idea - Cura has so many options and I don't use zhop for good reason.  But before anyone will look at this you probably need to do "file" "save..." which creates a project file with your stl file(s) in it, how it's positioned, your machine settings, your profile, and your settings that override the profile.  That way someone else can duplicate what you see and play with other options and maybe they will know the right answer almost immediately.  Or maybe this is a new bug that I haven't heard about.

Oh and post the project file here please.

32 minutes ago, gr5 said:

I have no idea - Cura has so many options and I don't use zhop for good reason.  But before anyone will look at this you probably need to do "file" "save..." which creates a project file with your stl file(s) in it, how it's positioned, your machine settings, your profile, and your settings that override the profile.  That way someone else can duplicate what you see and play with other options and maybe they will know the right answer almost immediately.  Or maybe this is a new bug that I haven't heard about.

Oh and post the project file here please.

Since you mentioned it, first may I ask why you don't use zhop?  I am pretty new to Cura.  Used S3D for a long time, though I always used zhop, I still never experienced nozzle drag until now.

Are there maybe settings in Cura I am missing to reduce/eliminate it and thus not need the zhop?

Thank you

I often use Z-hop if a print has a largish horizontal hole or arch that may want to curl up during printing.  If the curl catches on the nozzle it can push the print.  My preference for those types of parts is 0.5 to 1.0 of Z-hop.

I know it's a question of semantics, but reading it carefully "Z-Hop only over printed parts" limits Z-hops within a particular part.  It isn't the same as Combing mode.  And as gr5 says, there are numerous other settings that have an effect on Retraction and subsequent Z-Hops.  It isn't an easy setting to understand (but what in 3D printing is?).

• Like 1

I often have overhangs create a curl like that where the nozzle hits it very hard.  Very hard.  I can hear it from far away "bang!".  But my parts stick to the bed so well that I've never had a part come off and never lost X or Y position (if you push hard enough on the head the servo will move and start printing in a new area).

I don't like zhop because the quality of my prints goes down.  A lot.  And I'm not very picky about quality.  But I get horizontal banding because the Z axis in most of my printers (ultimaker) is not consistent if you go up and down.  The bed is mean to only go down and I get gorgeous walls on most of my prints but if I do z hop there are all these bands because when the hop is over it comes back to a slightly different z height.  e.g. say off by 0.01mm which is 10% of a .1mm layer height which means now the rest of this layer will over or underextrude by 10% which stands out as a horizontal line around the print.

zhop is great for delta printers which move all 3 steppers all the time - there is no z screw.