G code conversion

hajasherief

Posted · G code conversion

Hi

I have g-code (merlin) to print a 3D structure for lulzbot.

In my work place, I have Ultimaker S3 (Griffin).

I like to know how to convert merlin-flavour gcode into Griffin-flavour g-code to print the 3D structure.

I'm not sure if it's possible.  Does the lulzbot use 3mm filament?  If not then almost surely you would need to write some code to change all the E values.

It would be so much easier if you had the STL file that created the gcode.  Do you have that?

To answer your question - if you are a good programmer you could do this in an hour I suppose.  3d print something similar that uses the same temperatures (same type of filament).  Save the file (I think it saves as a ufp file).  Rename the ufp to ".zip" and locate the gcode file.  Save the first few lines of gcode that setup the temperature and home the printer.  Save the last few lines.  Insert the lulzbot gcode.  Use a program to scale all the E values on every line of gcode.  Scale by (1.75^2/2.85^2) (the ratio of filament diameters squared).  In otherwords all the new E values should be smaller.

I've never considered a translation from one flavor to another or from one diameter to another.  #1 would be to find out if the print will physically fit on the S3 build plate.  The Home Offset might have to be adjusted to move the print.  I suppose the bulk of the translation could be done simply using a macro in MS Excel.  As gr5 notes, the opening Gcode would have to work and there might be a couple of lines of hand coding at the beginning.  At the end - who cares.  The print is done.

Rather than the ratio of the squares of the diameters, I think the ratio of the areas of each filament.  Going from 2.85 to 1.75 would be all E values * 2.652245.  Going from 1.75 to 2.85 would be all E values * .377039.  I wonder what the printer would think of the retraction distances.  If 2.85 was being retracted 5mm and the 1.75 was being adjusted to retract 13.3mm would the printer clog?  Going the other way would 1.9mm of retraction be enough or would there be stringing issues?

I've got 1/2 hour into it already and no code is written.

This will generally not be worth it. Different printers have different capabilities. It is not generally possible to do a one-to-one conversion between two printers. As a basic example, for a certain object one printer might require a brim to ensure the first layer does not get warped edges in the first layers, while the other printer has a better print surface and does not need a brim. Or one printer is capable of better bridging than the other so fewer supports are needed. There is a reason Cura comes with so many profiles for so many different printers.

• Like 1