Why is Cura a pain to upgrade?

ajawamnet

Posted · Why is Cura a pain to upgrade?

That's just silly... "something seems to be wrong with the following profiles"

The profile works fine in the previous version.

Then on some upgrades you lose the materials, you lose the Profiles, etc...

Why is this?

I don't know but I have a different technique - I don't use profiles.  Instead I always save the gcode file and always save the project file (in the same folder).  The project file has everything profiles have but much more.  Later when I want to slice something new I find a project file for something similar (e.g. same material), load that project, delete the object(s) to print, load in the new STL and hit slice.  Done.  Never had a problem with newer versions of Cura.  never.   Been doing this since cura version 2.X.  I stopped using profiles back in Cura 2.X.  Never looked back.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, gr5 said:

I don't know but I have a different technique - I don't use profiles.  

Hi @gr5   I frequently backup the cura.cfg (C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\cura\4.8\cura.cfg). Is this safe for conserving all the settings (custom profiles, visibilities ...) when Cura is not upgraded?

1 hour ago, curasurf said:

Is this safe for conserving all the settings (custom profiles, visibilities ...) when Cura is not upgraded?

No, that's not enough. Better save the whole folder cura\4.8 because there are the custom profiles, machine settings and so on. You can also use the built-in backup function of Cura, which saves the folder to the UM cloud.

• Like 1

Yea - I did all of that. Sooo.

1. If I try and just install Cura I get the  "something seems to be wrong with the following profiles"  error

2. So if I go to the 4.5 profile and copy it over to the 4.8.0 Roaming/user/cura/4.8 directory, it STILL BAGS OUT and starts the config process ALL OVER AGAIN.  

Thank GOD I did a parallel install - learned that from Altium ...

Sorry, I don't know. If they are not automatically updated during the upgrade, then I have not idea. 

I do it like @gr5 I only use project files and have no custom profiles.

10 hours ago, ajawamnet said:

So is there a way to get a 4.5 profile to transfer materials, profiles, machine def's to 4.8? 

Thats what it does by default. But without actual log information, there is little we can do to debug the issue.

On 2/16/2021 at 11:44 PM, gr5 said:

The project file has everything profiles have but much more. 

Hi @gr5   Has the project file all the visibility settings? Thanks!

I doubt it, no.  Do profiles have visibility settings?  I didn't think profiles had that either.

• Thanks 1

Hi @gr5   Thank you for your reply!