Cura not slicing Holes.

rodcoronadoh

Posted · Cura not slicing Holes.

Your model is fine, I ran a check on it and there are no errors there. Then I ran it through my Cura (4.4) setup for my S5. Came out perfectly with none of the artifacting you see in your sliced image. I would be inclined to think it may have to do with either the version (I have seen issues with 4.8) or the setup for the printer type you are using. Saving the file out as a project file (.3mf) will let people see it the same way you see it as it will bring the model, printer type and settings into anybody's Cura.

Posted (edited) · Cura not slicing Holes.

@kmanstudios look at the near face in both of @rodcoronadoh's photos.  It looks like there is a slot at the bottom of the sliced image.  Also look at the near top right edge.  In the Preview image the entire top is planar but in the sliced image it looks like there is a step and the outside half sticks up a couple of mm...non-planar.  And the area above the hole in the far wall looks like it has a shelf right at the top of the hole.  It looks like two different parts to me.  I also sliced the downloaded model and it was fine and it looks like the preview image above (posts on the bottom, planar top surface, and no slot or shelf).

RodCoronadoh, did you happen to make extensive alterations to the model in Fusion?

Edited by GregValiant

Posted (edited) · Cura not slicing Holes.

I did notice, That is why I was so surprised that the model was spot on for 3D printing. But I have no idea beyond the model itself.

Basically, the rest is up to someone who is more technically adept than I.

Edited by kmanstudios

hi thanks for the the help.
    Well basically i did the design from scratch. and yes there are 2 pieces that were combine on fusion.

But not much more to tell i am new on this so i not sure i have to design a specific way on fusion

This is how it looks on fusion

image.thumb.png.c374675994cf6cd998bc9cfcb44766f1.png

I use a very old version of Inventor.  I have to "explode" a parametric model down to a 3d solid in order to use the "STLout" command.  When I explode a model, it loses everything but it's final shape.  There are no more extrusions, combines, intersections or cuts.  A very basic 3d solid gets translated to an STL and exported.  Is that what you do in Fusion?  I ask because your images of the model make it appear that there are some left over characteristics of a previous version of itself.  That might be what Cura is seeing when you slice it BUT neither I nor Kmanstudios had problems slicing so my theory could be totally wrong.  Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Hi @rodcoronadoh,

I agree with what Greg and Kmanstudios are saying here - it is certainly possible to 3D print this object.

However, when you shared your print project, I'll guess you exported the file -so we just got the 3MF file without the printer "setting data" for Cura to use when slicing.

To save this file, you'll need to use "save project" in the file pull down menu.

So when we open this file in Cura, we'll see your printer "installed" in our "version" of Cura, if this version can read the the current 3MF format (as newer versions cannot read some older versions).

This is a very good way to save all data for your print object (I use this for all my drawing/3D print object).

There is quite a number of versions made by the Cura team, so there been lots of development in just a few years and some of them behave different..

When I open a stl file in Cura, I'll always start with a standard profile. For an Ultimaker UM2, there is four standard profiles to choose from; "Draft", "Normal", "Fine" and "Extra Fine". (Standard nozzle is also 0.4 mm)

So I "loaded" Cura 4.7.1 with your file "CE3_Caja.3mf": 

(You have a Creality Ender 3 printer, curas start ID before your file name).

Here is what is looks like:

CE3_Caja_3mf.thumb.jpg.ef8e8cbea48e93b71ec1f55363ec699d.jpg

Here is the sliced object. Here is six different wall thickness and one is a little thicker than a nozzle width.

At this place (Lo left side) there is some drawing issue from Fusion 360 as Greg noted.

CE3_Caja_3mf_2.thumb.jpg.5c39a6cb0c95e1d8cc30874c9aaee5d1.jpg

Here is the outside of this place, the wall is offset into the wall that looks like a rectangle:

As the wall consist of different wall thickness, I'll change to a smaller nozzle, swapped to 0.25 mm and reduced initial layer to 0.2 mm:

CE3_Caja_3mf_3.thumb.jpg.a2d6bb0f2d2e7df0f2f2d48ef7bb8de1.jpg

This is what's looked like in "preview" from slicing mode.

CE3_Caja_3mf_5.thumb.jpg.db964dbe0aa32ba77e7feaf6ca9ef5f3.jpg

This is how it is looking when open the gcode file in the same slicer (Cura 4.7.1)

CE3_Caja_3mf_4.thumb.jpg.b5b4b9e4f48c3c2ebd5b2e5df92f0e46.jpg

Here is the "very good" slicer I'll use to view (mostly all) gcode files with, Cura 2.7.0 (when using UM2E+).

So, I've a water test -to make sure this "gcode file" will print good, so made a preview in S3D here:

CE3_Caja_3mf_6.thumb.jpg.238725e4e03d4871c7f50e4f56698561.jpg

This look very nice, and now I'm sure it will print very nice..  🙂

Here is the projekt file I've made for UM2 of your file:

UM2EWO_CE3_Caja_C471.3mf

Here is the gcode file, also made for UM2:

UM2EWO_CE3_Caja_C471.gcode

The only change I made to the "normal" profile was:

1) Change of nozzle size from 0.4 mm to 0.25 mm. (smaller nozzle -it's easy to see the problem, but printing time go up).

2) Changed the "Initial Layer Height" from 0.3 mm to 0.2 mm (Due to use of smaller nozzle).

3) Changed "Combing" from; "All" to "Within Infill" (to avoid travel lines inside body).

4) Changed "Build plate Adhesion" from "Brim" to "Skirt" (Brim is hard to remove so I'll normally use "Skirt" here).

(However you might find it better to use brim to keep the model stick to the bed.)

Hope this helps a little.

Thanks

Torgeir

• Like 1

THanks for the help guys.

hi Guys its me again.

This is getting really frustrating. I have design another version on the same box from scratch. But the issue persist. missing holes, its like missing layers. I have no idea whats going on. i am not sure if its a issue with fusion or Cura. But for some reason its from bad to worst. As you can see the box is just one complete body that was merge from many of them created from the extrude process. But after the slice everything is just wrong. I did thick the walls and proceed to make sure they combine everything on Fusion i am not sure what i am doing wrong. I have uninstall and reinstall cura from scratch. Should i change to version 2.7?

image.thumb.png.943866767e24c7b1b720777accdf363c.png

image.thumb.png.09a02cb1244250b07811d5cb0c2cfb0f.png

Caja Slide .3mf

Hi @rodcoronadoh,

Just loaded up your model with Cura 4.8.0., but still don't see your printer.

So I just set the printer to "Ender 3 pro" that I've got installed.

There was no issues at all, selected standard quality and skirt.

Here's your model:

CE3PRO_CajaSlide_Cura480.thumb.jpg.d3736f111a50dd5252c237f74a6b77fb.jpg

I'll think you have an issue with your slicer/pc-brand.. ?

Good luck

Torgeir

The latest Cura version is 4.8.  It's for 64 bit systems.  The last 32 bit version was 2.3.  SmartAvionics has ported Cura 4.8 into a 32 bit program for Windows 7.  So I would suggest downloading and installing a newer version.  You can keep your old version if you like.  What operating system are you using?  I can't duplicate the problem on Win10 and Cura 4.8.  When I slice your file it looks good.

Did you try to open @Torgeir's 3mf file?

Oh..

Here is the sliced file, for "Ender 3 Pro":

But don't know if you can use it on an Ender 3..

CE3PRO_C480_CajaSlide.gcode

Let me try that.

Currently working on windows 10. 64 bits

Let me download that version and see how it behaves.

Hi guys.

I have just updated to version 4.8 and the issue was solved.

No idea but it worked. Thanks for all the help and for everyone to reach to me to offer me a slice version for my printer.

As well thanks to @GregValiant and @Torgeir for the troubleshooting here.

I am amazed by the wonderful community here!

• Like 3

Congrats.  It had to be triple teamed but it was finally figured out.

Glad it got sussed out 🙂

Great, lets the fun begin..

Torgeir

SIMPLE SOLUTION: turn off the “Remove All Holes”, “Union Overlapping Volumes”, and the “Make Overhangs Printable” settings.
    Ur welcome 🙂