Cannot display support

sonnichs

Posted · Cannot display support

I am new to Cura and this is my first post. I have read thru most of the doc and a lot makes sense. However I am trying to add supports to my object and then, trying to display these supports. I have "support" turned on in the preferences via the "defaults". 

I am playing with "layer view" and " Colour Scheme" and I see "Helpers" turned on but I still cannot see the supports, which I believe should be in light blue.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Fritz

This is a "generic" problem not applicable to a particular design. I sketched up a simple STL to show an "overhang" --I want to display the supporting structures that were generated. I cannot get them to appear. I assume that 

1) I need to turn on the "generate support" feature and I did

2) Need to turn on the display feature. I think I did this as shown in the screenshots

Thanks

Fritz

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

You don't enable support by clicking it in "setting visibility".  that just makes the feature visible.

You have to actually enable support.

In the upper right where it says "standard quality" - click that and you get more options.  At that point you can add support.  Also you can click "custom" to get even more options.

Again, "support in preferences" only sets the visibility of the feature.  It doesn't enable support.  If you uncheck that in preferences then you can't turn support off.  And you can't turn support on.  Because the setting is hidden.  If you enable it in preferences it doesn't enable support.  It just makes it visible.  That's why in preferences it is called Setting Visibility.

In addition you have to enable generate support.  You can see below I typed "generate" in the search box and checked "generate support".

1863882257_Screenshotfrom2021-03-2021-05-05.png.49c17bee86120876968ee320767cede2.png

If you still have issues, instead of showing screen shots, please post your project.  To do that select "file" then "save project..." and post the resulting file.

"Support" on the L.H.S of the menu gives actual values for support types as options. so I didn't realize that this alludes to display only. I also didn't realize there were "hidden settings" but since there are,  probably a menu system is not very useful. I don't know if there is a command line for this product.  The clip that you display does not appear anywhere that  I can see in my version of the program .Checking "about" does not show which version of the program is installed.

All that said--I get a banner indicating that this version if for "creality 3D". 

So-I am guessing that Creality messed with the program to make their own version and your comments, while appreciated! probably cannot apply here. I could send you my STL but I guess it is the program-not the model that is the problem.

I got down to the lab today and used Fusion to generate the G-code directly and it worked on the Creality printer. So probably this is the best approach.

I appreciate you time on this--sorry for the confusion

Fritz

That's funny (somehow...) - you're talking about completely different Cura versions... 🙂

@gr5 - since you didn't noticed it: the screenshot from @sonnichs is Cura 15.x (or older) - someone is actually still using an antique software version that is 6 years old (at least)... 🤷‍♂️

Thanks for the comment.

The "someone" is apparently the creality3D vendor. Here is what I recall:

1) I loaded the product from their included thumbdrive recently. Naturally I expected it to be out of date.

2) so I chose their "update" option and what you see is what I got.

3) their "about" says this is the latest release. Probably latest from their perspective--if it works on that release of their machine I suppose they don't worry about it. But I don't see why they would not just point us to the Cura site.

There are a lot of subtle things for 3D (and CNC) machining and I like to get the latest release and update documents so I know what is going on. I am a bit distressed by the "hidden parameter" thing however. I cannot really understand that.

What I will do when I get a chance is to delete everything from my PC and install CURA directly from your website and then see how it goes.

Thanks all for your patience

Fritz

1 hour ago, sonnichs said:

I am a bit distressed by the "hidden parameter" thing however. I cannot really understand that.

Don't be confused. It's just that all the comments from above are related to "Ultimaker Cura" and not to the Creality Slicer.

The slicer from Creality is based on a legacy version of Cura. And i strongly guess that nobody here expects questions about this version anymore - if you not explicitly mention it.

That does not mean that one version or the other is not well suited for your printer - it's just.... a completely different software - especially the user interface.

Your first screenshots are from "Ultimaker Cura" and your second one is from the Creality Slicer - so.... which one is your question referring to...?

For Ultimaker Cura:

The options in this dialog are controlling the visibility for the "print settings panel" - you can "hide" parameters here if you rarely need them.

Capture2.JPG.80b979ec2800874b5bbbe49f777

The "print settings panel" itself opens if you click on the area in the upper right corner - where "Standard Quality..." is written in your first screenshot.

It's point (5) on this page of the Cura handbook:

https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011838219-Interface-overview-of-Ultimaker-Cura

That's where you can search for (and change) all the print settings in Ultimaker Cura - like shown in the screenshot from @gr5.

just to be clear: all of the above doesn't apply for the Creality slicer.

Hope that helps!

Thanks--that helps Tinkergnome.

I deinstalled everything (including the old stuff that  Creality installed) and I re-installed Cura from the ultimaker site.

Now the menus match what you guys show and also I am able to see my support structures. 

I will read over the documents and do a few prints with Cura when I get down to the lab.

cheers

Fritz

• Like 1