Useless maneuvers while printing?

Posted (edited) · Useless maneuvers while printing?

Hi there,

I'm new to 3d printing. I noticed that during an x-axis print maneuver, my printer would stop at a certain point, move along the y-axis without extruding filament, return back and continue the x-axis maneuver. There was seemingly no purpose to the maneuver because no filament was being extruded. The steps are marked in yellow in the attached picture. This resulted in an artifact in the print marked A.

Any ideas as to why this was happening?

Thanks!

davidramiro v1.4.6 firmware (Marlin 1.1.9)

Anycubic Mega S

Cura 4.8.0

Manjaro

https://imgur.com/a/CEL9bzO

Group 1.png

garbage_Box_Left.gcode Box_Left.stl

Edited by bassamanator

Posted · Useless maneuvers while printing?

I'm guessing this is a z layer change. 

But have you looked at you model in x ray mode to see if there is any areas that are problematic? Or looked at movements in layer view to see what kind of movement this is?

So I estimate that this was occurring at layers 120 to 200. I looked at the gcode and I don't see this maneuver taking place. Does the gcode contain ALL movements of the nozzle?

I don't get it :/

Edited by bassamanator

The gcode contains all the machine information (Temps, Accel, Jerk, etc) and ALL the moves.  Printers don't "ad-lib".

As Labern says, that does look like the Zseam.  The settings for the Zseam are under "Shell".  By setting it to "User Specified" and "Back Right" (any corner really) and "Hide Seam" it will get put someplace a lot less noticeable.  There is always a Zseam.  It shows up in Preview as a line of short travel moves going up the part.  A couple of other things that have an effect are Combing Mode and Outer Wall Wipe distance.  They can cause extra movement at the Z seam location.  Retract at Layer Change can cause blobs at the Zseam because a prime occurs there.

As an aside - have you calibrated the e-steps on your Mega?  I ask because it looks a little "blobby" on straight runs.

That particular model has essentially zero arcs and circles so using "Arc Welder" doesn't have any real effect.  It can't hurt anything, but it doesn't help either.

Edited by GregValiant

Hi there,

I'd just looked at your gcode file -and for sure something strange is happening during the slicing/storing of your model.

This sliced model looks like it is "printed" 🙃 by a faulty printer, I'll never seen a Cura slicing model like this..

But I'm sure Greg will take a good luck at this one. 😕

There "appears" to be some issues with your printer, but maybe better to have your slicer problem fixed before blaming your printer.

Thanks

Torgeir

@Torgeir, if you open the gcode in Cura it won't be displayed correctly because of the G2 and G3 commands that Arc Welder puts in.  Even the skirt displays as a mess.  I can't use my AutoCad macros to read it for the same reason.  I'm stuck with just the image to make a determination from.

@GregValiant,

aha.. Ough.. Did not catch that one.. 🙃

Well-

So I opened it in S3D and see the problem with the slightly sloped wall on the right side of the "box opening".

From where the slope starting, Cura start infilling (100 %) caused by the increased distance in between outer and inner wall. An adjustment of the wall width/height and infill type may/will fix this problem.

The Arc Welder don't do any good for this model as you cannot use the viewer in Cura to analysis and modify the setting as it is supposed to do.

So -as Greg says, just turn it off and only use it for curved modelling in "experimental" mode (then turn it off again 🙂).

You can force Cura to put the Z seam inside one of the corner, this work well for me.

I've also see that Cura making travel close to inside wall, -so make Cura travel inside wall and always check the result in the viewer. This is an excellent tool and a must for us to use because we want to verify that the result is as we expect before we start printing.

Anyway, good luck and happy 3D printing.

Thanks

Torgeir

Edited by Torgeir
    Spelling

@GregValiant I'll keep the Z Seam Alignment in mind for my next print. I have calibrated my extruder; it extrudes 100mm (+/- 1mm, this is the closest I can manage) when told to do so. I have also adjusted the flow rate.

I'll report back on my next print. Thanks all!