Import Blender model Cura convert to wrong size

RogueWave

Posted · Import Blender model Cura convert to wrong size

Created a model in Blender say 20cm by 15cm and Cura does not convert to same size like 100 x smaller then scale model up cuz too small.

When importing model Cura gives the warning, model too small, scaling model to fit, and displayed on build plate. it size is about 50mm by 100 mm.

What's the trick to convert it right ......I am brand new to Cura..... Just bought S5 delivery in a few days....Also can Units be changed to imperial 

instead of mm?

Thanks for the help

Bill

Cura expects units to be mm. STL doesn't define units, so cura just makes a guess what you mean if the model is too small or too big.

Cura is metric only. There is a plugin to convert from inches to mm, but thats it.

I have the same problem, my resolve is I 20x all models in Blender then 1/2 them once I've imported them into Cura. What that does is it takes a 10 Meter cube in Blender to a 10 Millimeter cube in Cura. 

• 2 weeks later...

A new version of the Mesh Tools plugin is now available in the Marketplace, which lets you set a unit for STL, OBJ and PLY files:

image.png.a0be44675effefb872611b7a2c1104d7.png

not sure if this helps but I find that when exporting the default cube to stl, if you change the scale in the export menu to 5, your cube will be exactly 1 centimeter in cura