Check your LED strips for adhesion failure

abraxas3d

Posted · Check your LED strips for adhesion failure

Check your LED strip lights for adhesion failure. Mine came off and fell into the gearing. I caught it in time, but noticed that the other side was failing as well. I tied the light strip to the case with some string, but a better solution will need to be engineered eventually.

i think they are testing much stronger glues for this... also small screws to bolt the LED strips into place.. That might be even better.

I noticed with my UM2.. that they used very aggressive strong glue and the glue had burned quite a large whole into the back of the front plate.. so not the best solution.

Ian

The LED strips do not adhere very well, the problem I have already discovered during my first print tests. Currently I check before each use of the machine the correct fit of these strips. But it is annoying and therefore quickly a workable solution should be found. Has anybody a good idea?

Maybe you could even use special transparent adhesive tape with sufficient width.

Markus

It is white tape in my machine. In some places it sticks very well and other not so good. It is also not flat on the surface, it interfere with the mounting screws for the housing. I think that the adhesive with the special coating of the casing surface is not in harmony.

Our Ultimaker 2 arrived some days ago; after having printed 2 Ultimaker robot models and printing a third one we noticed an 'odd' sound coming from the front left of the printer.

After inspection we noticed that the short electrical cable in the left corner that connects 2 LED strips was being pulled towards the pulley, this also pulled a part of the LED strip of the inside of the printer.

We are not sure how to fix this without disassembling the printer as these corners are almost unreachable.

Does someone have advise on how to best fix this without disassembling the printer?

I will try and attach/post a photo of the situation shortly.

I don't think dis assembly is the issue as one can use qtips, tweezers, popsicle sticks - things like that. The issue is finding a glue that works well on the inside material of the UM2 sides.

I don't know what glues work.

Here is a photo that shows the wires that connect 2 LED strips very close to one pulley; we were able to push it back a little, but it still touches the pulley.

The pulley caught the wires and pulled the LED strip a bit from the inside of the printer.

The problem is not so much that the strip was pulled from the inside, we are more concerned that the pulley will damage the wires, an cause the LED's and maybe the printer to malfunction.

LED strip cabling touches pulley

It's annoying and a bit worrying that the led cables are rubbing against the pulleys...we secured our cables with a glue gun. Try to use a glue gun with a long narrow nozzle to reach the corner while securing the cables against the wall with some small narrow tool like curved tweezers or curved pliers. It's nice afterwards :)

But this really need to be fastened properly during production.