Printing with Cura cuts off part of object

CondorDave

Posted · Printing with Cura cuts off part of object

Have been printing some basic objects for a new project without any issues. Now have an object that is basically a plate with a angled cylinder. Printing consistently causes a portion of the top of the cylinder to be fractured such that it readily breaks off or is only attached with a few threads of material. Photo shows the crescent shaped piece at the left of the top of the cylinder as the odd bit that gets cut off. The intent is that the cylinder is intact to the top.

Model is created in Autodesk Fusion360 and exported as .OBJ file for use in driving Ultimaker S3 printer - also attached. Also tried stl format and had the same issue.

Any suggestions on how to proceed on this? I have tried changing the model / regenerating the slanted cylinder with no success. If someone needs hte Fusion360 file, please let me know.

Thanks

ClippedCylinder.jpg

LegBracket1 v20 v3.obj

Hi @CondorDave,

Welcome in here.

It appear that there is something missing in your Fusion360 file.

All of my slicers show this missing area..

So a copy of your file (from Fusion 360) will be handy.

Thanks

Torgeir 

Torgeir,

Thanks to you and GregValiant for the responses. The forum does not appear to accept the .f3d standard Fusion360 file format. Is there another mechanism I can use to get the Fusion360 file to you?

Posted (edited) · Printing with Cura cuts off part of object

Service.netfabb.com is an AutoDesk site and is the repair utility.  Upload, wait a bit, download.  It does require that you create a free account.  It's painless.

If you load a model file into Cura and get the "Model is not watertight" or "Model consists of XX sub-meshes" popups then using the repair facility can fix a model.  Any repaired model needs a close look to see if anything might have been changed that shouldn't have been changed.  In the case of your leg bracket, that only takes a second.  For some complicated models you have to stare at them for a while.  Cura's Mesh Tools are OK, Microsoft 3D Builder is a bit better, I've found that the Netfabb site is the best (so far).

I think if you zip the file you can post it here and then @Torgeir can take a look.

Edited by GregValiant

GregValiant - thanks for the notes on netfabb.

Torgeir - enclosed is a zip of the Fusion360 archive file. Let me know if / what you discover that might be causing the problem.

Thanks to everyone for the support!!

LegBracket1 v20 v3.zip

Posted (edited) · Printing with Cura cuts off part of object

Hi @CondorDave,

Been a little occupied lately..

I've imported your F360 file, found that it's consisted of 3 parts. There is a function in F360 "join parts", this makes your model "water tight" a solid joined model. Maybe this was a problem for the conversion to stl format.?

Cant tell, but for sure I've never had any problem like this with F360.

(For this conversion I've used the setting medium density of triangles.)

As you may know, last version of F360 had some errors -just to be mentioned.

The latest version is just issued.

Here is a picture of you file converted by your PC together with the one converted by my PC that's sliced in Cura 4.8

image.thumb.png.91e01603c3a9958684f8fbe6fbbedbf6.png

Here's the project file made for UMS3, but you can easily copy the stl part to your printer.

UMS3_960380829_LegBracket1v20v3.3mf

Thanks

Torgeir

Edited by Torgeir
    Text err.

Torgeir,

Thanks for the analysis and suggestions. I now have a process that works so I can be sure the next items produced print properly.

Fusion360 update might happen next time I start it up - will verify that it is latest.

GregValiant suggest alternate slicers - will experiment with them soon.

Cheers!

There are a LOT of slicers.  Many are Cura based (one bears mentioning).  I am running Windows and the options for Mac's and Linux may be different.

Ultimaker Cura - my personal favorite.  Among other things it is very good at supports.  Lots of options makes it tougher to learn.  Great post-processors allow customization by users.  Between the Cura team, the regular Cura contributors, and the volunteer help (myself excluded), tech support is excellent.

PrusaSlicer - Has a lot of fans.  I use it once in a while mostly to keep my hand in.  I like it.

Cura Master (the SmartAvionics Version) is slightly different than the mainline Cura.  SmartAvionics is/was also a contributor to mainline Cura.  Support for his version runs parallel to mainstream Cura.  I find it has some minor glitches but it does have a slightly different feature set.

IdeaMaker (Raise3D)  Nice interface that's a bit easier to navigate.  Model repair is very good.  The "fan speed control list" allows a user to enter a cooling profile (nice feature that I've added as a post processor to my own program).  I've never used the tech support.

SimpliFy3D has been inactive and there haven't been any updates in a couple of years.  It's falling behind and the user base is getting restless.  Because of that, tech support is very spotty (bordering on non-existent).

Cura Clones (Creality slicer, QIDIPrint, LottMax, etc) mostly are attempts to lower the learning curve.  The result is just less features.

Slicers that suck  Sometimes a printer manufacturer will develop a slicer that is proprietary and install proprietary firmware into their machines.  The result is that their machines MUST use their slicer.  Those slicers are tough to get to work with anything but those particular printers.  The reverse is also true.  Getting one of those printers to work with Cura can be really tough (the DaVinci XYZ printers immediately come to mind).