Do S3 and S5 require tinkering to produce good quality prints?

Posted (edited) · Do S3 and S5 require tinkering to produce good quality prints?

Hi, I have used various 3D printers over the past ten years. I was in charge of two prototyping labs at universities. I have a Prusa i3MK3S but I am unsatisfied with its print quality and the amount of time required to tinker the machine which may or may not fix the issues. How is the S3 and S5? Are these more expensive machines better?

Edited by ultimaker_user

Posted (edited) · Do S3 and S5 require tinkering to produce good quality prints?

They work very nice out of the box. Only thing you have to "learn" is to chose the right profile. Even changing betweens cores (nozzles) is easy, the machine does reliable bed levelling, and also the first layer is no problem.

The Um are the only printers where i fully rely on, i dont watch the first layer anymore...

Edited by RudydG

Posted · Do S3 and S5 require tinkering to produce good quality prints?

My S5 works hassle free with easy to print materials like PLA/Tough PLA. You do have to do some "tinkering" with the bed and adhesives for more exotic materials like TPU and PP because these don't always want to stay put, but really no mechanical tinkering is required.

Posted · Do S3 and S5 require tinkering to produce good quality prints?

I am new to Ultimaker and have the S5. I came from an Ultimaker clone background where I had to tweak far more than I ever printed usable product.

The S5 I have is simply perfect just accepting the defaults. The only issues I have had is finding best practices for build plate adhesion.

The S5 and S3 will be "boring" because all you will do with them is print. The actual printer kind of fades into the background as it should.

I have had such great success with difficult materials like ABS and Nylon that now that is all I print in!

PLA is for toys and PoCs now.