Defining path for single layer print.

amitmonash

Posted · Defining path for single layer print.

Hi,

I am new to 3d printing and in the process of purchasing s5, will take a month or so. In the interim I am exploring my options to ensure what I am trying to achieve is possible in Cura.

This might sound unusual, but I want to print single layer of artwork and want to make sure that the layer path is not line by line in x or y axis, but continuous line path defined by shape I want to print. See photo. 1061675236_Screenshot_20210505-160606_KeepNotes.thumb.jpg.187dd8ac9e4d667d98a10fbd1b07a970.jpg

Once that is achieved, I will stack multiple layers of the same in z axis. Want to make the whole process automated. So once set, it should print the whole stack. Once printed, these layers will be separated, kind of making wireframe/stencil.

Is that possible?

Maybe you can get that to work with the SVG toolpath plugin. I've not worked with that myself, but i've seen people do some pretty crazy things with that.

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

On 5/5/2021 at 7:16 PM, nallath said:

Maybe you can get that to work with the SVG toolpath plugin. I've not worked with that myself, but i've seen people do some pretty crazy things with that.

Thanks Nallath, that is very close to what I am looking for. All I need to do now is to figure out z axis. Should be able to test out when I get my printer.

20 hours ago, GregValiant said:

How wide is the line?

How thick is each stencil?

What material do you anticipate using?

Greg, I am not locked in on dimensions at this stage, probably to start with will take 0.8 nozel and layer height 0.8 as well. The x and y axix can vary depending on the content. Once successful will narrow down to smaller sizes. Thanks!

A layer height of .8 is really pushing it.  At 1/2 nozzle diameter you would do better.  The nozzle has to "squish" the plastic on to the bed in order to get it to stick.  That brings up problem #2...

"So once set, it should print the whole stack. Once printed, these layers will be separated, kind of making wireframe/stencil.

Is that possible?"

Poor layer adhesion and a resultant failure of a printed part is the most popular failure mode of FDM.  A lot of research has gone into getting layers to adhere to each other better.

It is necessary to get the first layer to adhere to the bed (popular problem) and then get the subsequent layers to adhere one-on-another.  I don't see any way to "separate" them later.  The layers are effectively super-glued together (at least that's the plan).

Printing multiple models on the build plate would give you numerous stencils at once and there would be no need to "separate" them.  That would also allow you to go to a 2 layer thick stencil using .4 layer height.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, GregValiant said:

A layer height of .8 is really pushing it.  At 1/2 nozzle diameter you would do better.  The nozzle has to "squish" the plastic on to the bed in order to get it to stick.  That brings up problem #2...

"So once set, it should print the whole stack. Once printed, these layers will be separated, kind of making wireframe/stencil.

Is that possible?"

Poor layer adhesion and a resultant failure of a printed part is the most popular failure mode of FDM.  A lot of research has gone into getting layers to adhere to each other better.

It is necessary to get the first layer to adhere to the bed (popular problem) and then get the subsequent layers to adhere one-on-another.  I don't see any way to "separate" them later.  The layers are effectively super-glued together (at least that's the plan).

Printing multiple models on the build plate would give you numerous stencils at once and there would be no need to "separate" them.  That would also allow you to go to a 2 layer thick stencil using .4 layer height.

Thanks Greg, that is a limitation. In an ideal world, it should be like cake icing just comes out of nozzle, deposits on build plate and solidifies 🙂

For my requirement, layer and bed adhesion should be minimum so I can easily separate layers. Getting the path right and smooth extrusion is more important.

Printing stacked layers gives me more layers and hence more prints per cycle as compared to side-by-side.

Well I guess I will have to experiment when I get my printer with different temperatures and materials. I believe some combination should work.

When people can build concrete 3d printed houses, I think I can do it at much smaller scale and push the boundaries a little bit.

But thanks for heads up and knowledge, it will certainly help me!

Hi, I got the same problem as you. I have this shape that i would like to do in 1 path (only 1 layer) and I didn't find a way to do it. did you find a solution?

spanx nipple v2.png