Is there a way to the disable the prompt asking if I want to retry aborted prints?

silven

Posted (edited) · Is there a way to the disable the prompt asking if I want to retry aborted prints?

Every now and then I want to immediately cancel a print I've just sent from Cura to the printer (e.g. wrong config, wrong model, etc.).

I can abort the print from Cura, but for me to be able to print a new one, I have to walk to my printer which is in another room just to select "No"  on the printer when it asks if I want to "retry" the aborted print. 

Is there a way to disable this prompt, or perhaps answer the prompt via Cura or the cloud?

I have a UM3. I tried googling but my keywords are too common (cancel, retry, restart, aborted, etc.). I have some background with programming/networking (though not with printers), so feel free to suggest solutions even if it requires me to SSH into the printer and edit some config files.

EDIT: Just now I remembered the printer has an API. There's a "PUT /print_job/state" but I think that only aborts/pauses the current print job, but doesn't affect the prompt. Is there another endpoint I can use?

Edited by silven

Posted · Is there a way to the disable the prompt asking if I want to retry aborted prints?

It is not possible via config or API.

But you can change nearly everything when you ssh into the printer and change the process. It takes some time to search and find the right file and also how to prevent the message but it should be possible.

Posted · Is there a way to the disable the prompt asking if I want to retry aborted prints?
    52 minutes ago, Smithy said:

it should be possible.

But you have to redo all such changes each time you update the firmware, and it is possible to "brick" your printer by changing files on it.

41 minutes ago, ahoeben said:

But you have to redo all such changes each time you update the firmware, and it is possible to "brick" your printer by changing files on it.

Regarding bricking, is there no "validation"/"linter" tool for making sure the changes to the code doesn't brick it, or at least reduce the chances of that happening?

Regarding firmware, I'm fine with that, but will Ultimaker still rollout firmware updates for the UM3? My impression was they won't given they've discontinued the model.

4 hours ago, silven said:

is there no "validation"/"linter" tool for making sure the changes to the code doesn't brick it

You could use a linter for parts of what you would be editing (such as JSON files), but other parts would be Python code. Arguably there's not even a comfortable text editor to edit these files with. All that is because these files are not meant to be user-edited. You can do it, but it is not really recommended.

4 hours ago, silven said:

will Ultimaker still rollout firmware updates for the UM3?

I really can't tell, because I don't know.

As I immagine its just a matter of implementing some flag in the code that the user could set or unset, I would really like to see this implemented as it bothers me to as of @silven 

Why is it implemented at all as it is much easier just starting a new print that to restart an aborted print. After all there will be a reason to abort that one will correct in a new print

I do understand this particular situation, but generally confirmation-dialogs are there for a very good reason. On my UM2 I have occasionally pushed the "abort" button by accident when scrolling through the menus, while fine-tuning the printing. That scroll/push wheel occasionally skips to the next option while pressing the button, if you don't hold it perfectly still. I am glad that confirmation-dialog was there...

Idem for deleting files in Windows. Potentially destructive actions should require confirmation.

That is why in UI-design the rule is that the confirmation-dialog should repeat the action-word. Thus not a simple "Yes / No" choice, because people want to start an action, that is why they pressed the button after all. So they tend to say "yes" to the action: "do it". Only, it could be the wrong action if they pressed the wrong button.

A better wording is a choice between "Abort / Cancel", or "Delete / Cancel", or "Format / Cancel", or "Left / Right", or whatever appropriate term for the action, where the action-word itself is repeated. This stops their automatisms, and they have to think: "Abort? Huh, what the... No, no, I did not want that..."

Posted (edited) · Is there a way to the disable the prompt asking if I want to retry aborted prints?

You are somewhat right  @geert_2

Well the exact usecase problem is : you are remotely starting a print.

During the 1 minute warm up, you realize that you want to do a minor correction so you abort the print before its even started. At that point you need to confirm the abort on the printers panel as you cannot do it remotely.

Thats what I would call a bug and should be fixed. 

1 - give the remote user full control of the panel. 

2 - make this abort confirmation only active if the print is aborted via the display, not in remote

Specifically I have the printer in another location so I prefer use it via wifi or the digital factory which I find wonderful.

Edited by thorsenrune