Ultimaker S3 Air Manager

E-Labor

Posted · Ultimaker S3 Air Manager

Hello,

I was wondering if there will be an Air Manager for the S3 Printer like the one on the S5?

There is a third party option from Accante which I’m interested in but I would like to go with the original and "controlled" one from Ultimaker.

Or is there someone who already made some experience with this cover?

Thanks 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As far as I know there are no plans to release an Air Manager for the Ultimaker S3. Whether or not that will change in the future, I can not know today. Obviously, we'll make you will hear from us if anything changes. Hope this helps!

• 2 years later...

Ultimaker's omission of this feature for the S3 model is quite disappointing. It's surprising to see that the 2+ Connect, which caters more to hobbyists, includes this option, whereas the S3, positioned as a professional desktop machine, does not. It's high time for Ultimaker to address this gap and update the S3 accordingly.

Gentleman, there are other options for enclosures that are probably less expensive

1)  https://ultimate3dprintingstore.com/products/hepa-cover-compatible-ultimaker

2) https://fbrc8.com/products/ultimaker-s3-safety-enclosure-kit

3) https://whambam3d.com/collections/hotbox-for-fdm/products/hotbox-mega-3d-printer-enclosure

I've been using the PrintedSolid top/front door enclosure for my Ultimaker 2+  Depending on your budget, you can purchase a BOFA 3D Print air filtration device ($999 or more) or check out the 3D Upfitter Carbon Air Filter ($60) that could fit in the back.  Here's how I did it for my UM2+  

I don't have the specs for the UM S3 but I suspect it would fit under the WhamBam Hot Box Mega.

It fit around the large Lulzbot Taz 6 and even a generic (Eryone) 300 x 300 x 400 3D printer.  Add your fire protection device, your air filtration system and off you go.

I have seen a number of people using the 3rd party print hoods on the S3's 
    But I would very much advise against using the full enclosures such as whambam.. this can seriously damage the electronics in the bottom of the machine as they need the cool air flow.

4 hours ago, Dustin said:

I have seen a number of people using the 3rd party print hoods on the S3's 
    But I would very much advise against using the full enclosures such as whambam.. this can seriously damage the electronics in the bottom of the machine as they need the cool air flow.

Yes, I would agree that if you use the Wham Bam, it could be too warm for the Ultimaker / Lulzbot / machines that would have their electronics completely covered up.  Wham Bam does offer some printed parts to raise the enclosure up into the air so there is some airflow from below.  

I encountered some issues with the 3D Print Clean enclosures with my Ultimaker S5's when the lab space got warm in the summer.  We added several heat pumps to that lab and now the room stays at 70F and monitor the enclosure temperature to make sure it isn't too warm.  (We can increase the air flow to keep things in a safe range)

Here's the HotBox feet you can elevate the enclosure with

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4694251

Dustin correctly highlights the risks of third-party solutions, which fall short of the S5 Air Manager’s quality. Given Ultimaker’s reputation, particularly with professional-grade printers like the S series, one would anticipate it addressing these customer concerns more proactively. When I purchased the S3, I assumed it was only a matter of time before an accessory like this would be available. Unfortunately, I was mistaken. It seems feasible that adapting the S5 Air Manager design to have fitting solution for the S3 as well shouldn’t be overly challenging.

On 11/25/2023 at 4:23 PM, drisec said:

Dustin correctly highlights the risks of third-party solutions, which fall short of the S5 Air Manager’s quality. Given Ultimaker’s reputation, particularly with professional-grade printers like the S series, one would anticipate it addressing these customer concerns more proactively. When I purchased the S3, I assumed it was only a matter of time before an accessory like this would be available. Unfortunately, I was mistaken. It seems feasible that adapting the S5 Air Manager design to have fitting solution for the S3 as well shouldn’t be overly challenging.

Well I think the S3 lacks the plug for an S5 air manager to plug into it?

As mentioned, there are some 3rd party solutions out there.  I wouldn't pin my hopes on Ultimaker developing add-ons for an older model.  Ask us Ultimaker 2/2+ guys about that  🙂