Calibration Print

Ste_297

Posted · Calibration Print

Good Afternoon All

I have been printing fine for a while now but I took one print off the glass bed and went to restart the print again to print exactly the same but was not successful. It seems like the feed was not working correctly

When printing a calibration print to align print cores this is the effect which I get. The bundle feeds the filament fine when setting up, the first few lines print good but then the quality fades and the lines start to be come dots as seen in the photos

I have tried to resolve this by changing the filament, print core, cleaning feeder wheels, cleaning boden tubes, print core cleaning.

I am struggling how to resolve this and what to do next 

Any advice is much appreciated

IMG_20210706_131855.jpg

IMG_20210706_131858.jpg

IMG_20210706_131907.jpg

IMG_20210706_131925.jpg

We usually call this "underextrusion".  It's complicated because this is the first layer and having the nozzle ever so slightly high or low can, by itself, cause under or over extrusion.

It's fine initially because of the initial "purge" that happens just before it starts printing.  But you say you have an S5 so I'm going to guess it's not a leveling issue.

It sounds like you have more than one S5 so I know you said you swapped the core but please swap the core with one of the working S5's to be sure.  Once you've eliminated the core there's not much left:

1) center fan broken - the fan in the door that swings open in the print head - make sure that's spinning once the heads start to heat up (when either core is over 60C).

2) bowden issues - manually slide the filament in and out of the core - use the lever on the feeder to release the filament and slide the filament in and out of the bowdens.  If you have the pro bundle on this particular printer it could be anywhere along the multiple bowdens.  I'm not sure how to test problems related to the material station.  The feeder can push with 10 to 15 pounds (5-7kg) of force so if you feel resistance of only a few ounces (a few 100 grams) then it's fine.

3) Feeder issues - Something may be wrong with the feeder.  While the feeder is powered up you can fight it by trying to pull the filament out while it is printing - just below the feeder (again I don't know how to diagose this if you have a material station).  If the filament hasn't reached the core yet you should not be able to fight the feeder even with 10 pounds of force (5kg).  Most people can't produce that much force when reaching around behind the printer and with the standard finger grip on thin filament.

Posted (edited) · Calibration Print

Hi

Yes I have 3 x ultimaker 5's and 1 x ultimaker 3, the ultimaker 5 with the issue has a material station installed on it. 

This has been printed with PLA and PVA (both ultimaker brand) i have tried BASF brand PLA and this produces the same result.

The tension of the filament feeder is set to the middle (I am under the impression this is the nominal position)

Edited by Ste_297

@Ste_297 - this is the slowest conversation ever.  Please note that I usually stop reading a thread after about 7 days so I'm adding this note just to keep it going but after another 7 days you can reply and I probably won't notice unless you send me a direct message.