Help with printing A DESIGN

Posted · Help with printing A DESIGN

Is your nozzle small enough to print those thin features in the model? It's most likely that the  walls of the actual lemon shape are too thin to be printed with your current settings. When I slice it using a 0.4mm nozzle most of the shape is removed because it's too small.

A quick ugly "fix" is to increase the setting "Horizontal expansion" to make the features slightly fatter, but it's better to adjust in CAD.

I also got a warning that the model is not water tight so it might need to be repaired as well.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Help with printing A DESIGN

This is with a .2 nozzle at .2 line width and there are still areas missing.  Not good.  I agree with IRobertI.  Looks like it's back to the drawing board for this one.   There are a couple of threads here on the site about models like this.  Do a search for "cookie cutter" and they should come up.

Untitled.thumb.png.676fec8b32d34da384850fcc5c044802.png

Just as I was clearing the build plate I noticed these areas and they relate directly to the areas that don't want to print.  This is the "prepare" view.

Untitled1.thumb.png.3711371e3a99e3cc167bf8cfdc3b521b.png

Edited by GregValiant

Posted · Help with printing A DESIGN

A 0.20mm line as designed in CAD might vary between 0.19mm and 0.21mm after exporting to STL, because the STL-file consists of straight line-segments, instead of smooth curves. The 0.19mm areas are likely to cause problems.

Idem for lines of 0.40mm in CAD, for printing on a 0.40mm nozzle. I prefer to optimise the design in CAD, rather than rely on doing tricks in the slicer. So I design the lines a bit thicker in CAD: usually 0.5mm for my 0.4mm nozzles: this prints well, and aligns well on a 0.5mm grid while drawing.

Maybe try 0.25mm lines for your 0.20mm nozzle? But I think a 0.2mm thick part is going to be way too fragile. If it was for myself, I would make it thicker. And I would then print it slow and in thin layers, to get good layer-bonding.