Cutting mesh continuity

paoletto

Posted (edited) · Cutting mesh continuity

Hi, i wonder if there's any way to explain to cura that one face of a cutting mesh should be "continuous" or it should not introduce a boundary in the model
Ex:
Y3Ky7Dh.png

(the grey cube is a cutting mesh where i increased the number of walls)

Edited by paoletto
  • Like 1

Posted · Cutting mesh continuity
13 hours ago, paoletto said:

i wonder if there's any way to (...)

Unfortunately, there is no way to do that with a cutting mesh. The cutting mesh cuts the model into multiple parts, and they will all have their own walls.

• Like 2

I too would need this feature. Is there any way to locally change the acceleration and jerk settings ? I have an embossed font where I need the ghosting removed, which however has no significance on the rest of the model.

• 8 months later...

This is without a doubt needed. Either that or a 3rd option that is a mix of the infill/cutting meshes that allows you to amend localised wall counts on a surface without creating a boundary thats the shape of the mesh.

The below example is with cutting mesh, with a wall count reduced to 2 for the lettering, but I then get an undesired box around the mesh.

image.thumb.png.ff318bb0957738c3ffe5f029819f731a.png

As its a wall count, using infill mesh makes no difference.

• Like 1

Even if you got rid of the walls, the infill "skin" pattern (typically diagonal) would not line up perfectly and there would still be a visible rectangle.  This is basically impossible (or amazingly hard) to fix.

But I have a hack solution for you.

Create the "mm" logo as a separate stl and leave the part blank on the bottom.  Then insert the mm logo as a "infill mesh" (actually it seems to be called "modify settings for overlaps").

This will get rid of that outer rectangle but it will probably give you more than one wall around your logo. 

• Like 1