Anything from thingiverse gives me the error: unable to slice with current settings, prime tower position x y and z hop.

Posted · Anything from thingiverse gives me the error: unable to slice with current settings, prime tower position x y and z hop.

hello gang, i am new to 3d printing, just got a machine a week ago, it came with a sample gcode file, that prints without any issues, but i cannot print anything else because everything gives me a slicing error. Has anyone ran into this issue?

Posted · Anything from thingiverse gives me the error: unable to slice with current settings, prime tower position x y and z hop.

You should give us more information, best to save and upload the Cura project.

so any stl file i open in Cura gives me the same tower position error, I have a malyan m320 machine. it does not matter how big or small the project is, always the same error, so i have not been able to print anything other than the preloaded design 😞 . Im new to this, im thinking the issue is somewhere in the settings.

There are some printer definition files that have errors in them.  Often it's because the author of the definition (who works for your printer manufacturer) did not change some defaults like they should have.  It could be other things though.

So as Smithy says, use "File | Save Project" to create a 3mf file and post it here.

Posted (edited) · Anything from thingiverse gives me the error: unable to slice with current settings, prime tower position x y and z hop.

Or you could have just gotten crappy models from Thingiverse. There are more than a few of them there.

But some of what you mentioned seems to be related more to settings. Agree with the above to submit the project file.

Edited by kmanstudios

at first i thought it was a design issue, but i have downloaded over 6 projects, they all give me the same issue. i saved one those, attached.

MM_Talon_Body_Locking project.3mf

Posted (edited) · Anything from thingiverse gives me the error: unable to slice with current settings, prime tower position x y and z hop.

Bingo!!

That's one of the bad definition files.  The default Z Hop speed is 10 and then your mini definition file changes the max Z speed to 1.5 but leaves the Z Hop speed at 10 so it's a show stopper.

Next to the Setting Search box is a dropdown box for setting visibility.  Set it to "All".

Scroll down to the Speed section and then "Z Hop Speed" and you will see that it is red and has 10.0 in it.  Set it to 1.5 and you should be good.

Edited by GregValiant
    • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, GregValiant said:

Bingo!!

That's one of the bad definition files.  The default Z Hop speed is 10 and then your mini definition file changes the max Z speed to 1.5 but leaves the Z Hop speed at 10 so it's a show stopper.

Next to the Setting Search box is a dropdown box for setting visibility.  Set it to "All".

Scroll down to the Speed section and then "Z Hop Speed" and you will see that it is red and has 10.0 in it.  Set it to 1.5 and you should be good.

thank you, you freaking Genius!!! It worked!! thanks, thanks, thanks.

Awesome 🙂 Glad that got fixed for you...happy printing. But, know that there are some really bad files on Thingiverse.

13 hours ago, kmanstudios said:

Awesome 🙂 Glad that got fixed for you...happy printing. But, know that there are some really bad files on Thingiverse.

I know that now, thanks