2+ (not Connect) bed won't go all the way

fionagrutza

Posted · 2+ (not Connect) bed won't go all the way

After searching found this reference from several years ago but no resolution -->

https://community.ultimaker.com/topic/11660-print-bed-doesnt-go-all-the-way-up/

Just acquired an Ulti 2+ (not Connect) and cleaned it up, made sure all connections are secure and clean, everything is tight and lubed, powers on and regulates properly.. the ONLY issue is that when raising the bed, it stops about an inch short of the proper level height.

Updated firmware via Cura and retried.

No change.

Factory reset via front panel.

No change.

At this point, baffled other than being a firmware issue so if someone can direct me to alternatives or how this has been solved in the past, bravo to you sir or ma'am.

Thx

Are you sure you don't have the extended?  If you put the correct firmware on it and previously it had the wrong firmware than you must do a "factory reset" to get the Z height updated in the firmware.

Or maybe you have the regular UM2 (non-extended) but somehow got the um2go firmware on there.

Just go through the menus and the firmware will tell you which version and flavor it is.

19 minutes ago, gr5 said:

Are you sure you don't have the extended?  If you put the correct firmware on it and previously it had the wrong firmware than you must do a "factory reset" to get the Z height updated in the firmware.

Definitely not extended.

Started with 3.3.0 

Did a factory reset and it stayed 3.3.0

No change

Downloaded an old Cura and downgraded the firmware to 2.6.2

No change

18 minutes ago, gr5 said:

Or maybe you have the regular UM2 (non-extended) but somehow got the um2go firmware on there.

Just go through the menus and the firmware will tell you which version and flavor it is.

The back panel definitely says 2+ and its not Go firmware.

As an experiment I loaded Extended firmware and raised bed and it started up into head and would have gone beyond if not shut off.

Loaded the Go firmware to see if it would match the same height restriction but it did not.

UPDATE -->

In Cura (4.9.1) in motion control, UP on the Z Axis goes down and wants to go down despite limit switch - which does work - and DOWN goes up.

Limit switch works

Cables seem connected correctly

Is there a jumper on the board thats supposed to be connected?

1 hour ago, GregValiant said:

Maybe @Torgeir can help.  He knows those printers pretty well and he'll get this heads-up.  I don't know what continent he's on so it may well be tomorrow.

Thanks.

Posted (edited) · 2+ (not Connect) bed won't go all the way
    39 minutes ago, gr5 said:

I recommend this firmware by the way:

https://github.com/TinkerGnome/Ultimaker2Marlin/releases

Just tried the latest firmware from TinkerGnome and it stopped in the same place.

So now we know its not a firmware issue for sure, imo.

Thanks for that firmware link by the way, that is much better than stock.

The Z rod is not dirty, its not grinding, its all moving freely.

For whatever reason the distance is not being met.

It comes up short by 63mm from glass to tip.

It has to be hardware. Just not sure where.

The backwards controls of Cura might be the best clue.

Edited by fionagrutza

1 hour ago, fionagrutza said:

In Cura (4.9.1) in motion control, UP on the Z Axis goes down

That's normal.  "up" means move the nozzle up but on an Ultimaker the nozzle doesn't exactly move.  It's the bed that goes down.  So "up" means move nozzle "farther from bed".  In other words "down".

So that's good.

You didn't answer my question about leveling.  Maybe you just haven't done the bed leveling yet?  Also since you changed the firmware several times now - definitely do the "factory reset" on the menu system on the printer.

1 hour ago, gr5 said:

That's normal.  "up" means move the nozzle up but on an Ultimaker the nozzle doesn't exactly move.  It's the bed that goes down.  So "up" means move nozzle "farther from bed".  In other words "down".

So that's good.

You didn't answer my question about leveling.  Maybe you just haven't done the bed leveling yet?  Also since you changed the firmware several times now - definitely do the "factory reset" on the menu system on the printer.

*smacks self*

I am so used to Prusa style it never dawned on me that the up/down would be inherently "opposite". Doh!

Well, that helps clear and unclears that up. :/

Per the leveling and reset.. for every firmware install, I would do a factory reset before the install. So each one has been "fresh". When the start up process begins where you level, it raises the bed up but stops 60mm from the nozzle. That is far too far to simply spin the bed level screws. Am I suppose to also spin up the bed itself on the z screw to get closer?

Stopping 60mm from the nozzle is normal.  Then you spin the knob and it moves the bed up some more.  Read the instructions.  They may be confusing but now that I told you to spin the knob you should be fine.

I'm thinking you thought you were supposed to spin the 3 mechanical knobs but no - spin the control knob - the computer device.

Posted (edited) · 2+ (not Connect) bed won't go all the way

*face palm*

Edited by fionagrutza
    • Like 1