Double print?

kiwiforce007

Posted · Double print?

Hi there i trying cura out and it good and bad.

surface finsh is great but when i sliced my file is like double printed.

the second wall is printed 5 deg off my other slicer it fine.

the werid thing is the base square.

idea's of what to do .

thank you

20210810_231131.jpg

20210810_231241.jpg

Posted · Double print?

That's a strange one.  What printer is that?

That image looks like the STL in Cura that @Smithy asked for.  I think another step would be in order.

Clear the build plate in Cura.  Use the File/Open command and open that gcode file in Cura.  The preview you see is a true and accurate representation of how the gcode is telling the printer to move and print.  If you see the error in that preview then the gcode was created wrong.  If the preview looks good then something probably slipped in your printer.

The failure looks like a rotation, or double print either of which would be really odd.  Is there any chance that the build surface slipped?  Do you have a cat living with you?

Posted · Double print?

I'm printing on  Wham bam PEI surface I will look at the g code view where I back from work.

The other thing I noticed was the   Skirt

Printed the wrong shape as well

Posted · Double print?

Greg i did what you said and as you can see something not working.

I hope cura would be better, maybe not.

so where to from here.

are there other file i need to post to fix this.

pic1.PNG

pic2.PNG

part1b.gcode

Posted (edited) · Double print?

Are you by chance using the ArcWelder plugin? It looks like the firmware for your printer is not properly configured to support it.

Edit: yes, you are using the ArcWelder plugin.

What you are seeing has nothing to do with slipping buildplates, or whatsoever. The ArcWelder plugin has changed multiple G0/G1 commands of the curved parts of the walls to G2/G3 arc commands. However your printer firmware (and Cura, when loading in the Gcode) does not know how to handle G2/G3 commands so it just ignores them, including the end coordinates of the curved walls. The next (linear) move is then made from the last printed linear point.

So you get lines from the beginning of one straight part of the wall to the beginning of the other straight part of the wall, without going through what would normally be the end of the straight part of the wall. This makes the wall look rotated.

The inner wall is printed in the other direction, so the "endpoints" of the straight parts of the wall are in the other direction. This makes the inner walls look rotated the other way. In reality there is no double or rotated printing; just ignored gcode commands.

Long story short: your firmware does not know how to handle Arc commands. You enabled a plugin to specifically convert gcode to have Arc commands. Disable the option to do ArcWelder postprocessing and/or uninstall the plugin entirely. Alternatively you can update your firmware to a version that does support G2/G3 arc commands.

Edited by ahoeben
    • Like 2

Posted · Double print?

Yes i was running it.

I will update my firmware .

Thank you greatly.👍

• Like 1

Posted · Double print?

Thank you @ahoeben.  With all the straight lines it never occurred to me that ArcWelder might be active.

Posted · Double print?

Would it be possible to get a warning from Cura when ArcWelder is enabled on at least an Ultimaker printer that does not support G2/G3 code?

Looked almost the same as when I first tried that plug-in on UM3

• Like 1

Posted · Double print?

Generally speaking there is no way for the plugin to know if the firmware supports arc commands. Perhaps I have turned it on in my custom Ultimaker Marlin build.

Posted · Double print?

True but Cura knows if its compatible or not if an Ultimaker machine is selected.

Would save a bunch of first timers some failed prints 😉

Posted · Double print?
    1 hour ago, AndersK said:

True but Cura knows if its compatible or not if an Ultimaker machine is selected.

Would save a bunch of first timers some failed prints 😉

But Cura doesn't know that arc commands exist at all.

So the only way to handle this is for the arc writer to have a list of machines that don't support arc welding and show a warning / error if a user prints with that.

Posted · Double print?
    8 hours ago, nallath said:

to have a list of machines that don't support arc welding and show a warning / error if a user prints with that.

A list of machines and firmware versions. And Cura does not generally know what firmware is being used by a printer.

The ArcWelder plugin is a plugin that the user needs to install. Even when installed, there is a setting that needs to be enabled for the plugin to start doing its thing for each configured printer in Cura. Cura has many more settings that can screw up prints if they are enabled willy-nilly. I don't think Cura (and plugins) should warn on every single one of them.