Cura 14.01 hanging when print is pressed

bingobob

Posted · Cura 14.01 hanging when print is pressed

I just upgraded to Cura 14.01. Did the firmware upgrade.

I loaded my model, pressed print and a blank window with the title "Printing" comes up and that's it. Nothing happens. Am I missing something?

In the meantime, I'm going back to Cura 13.04 - I hope it still works.

Thanks.

/edit: In the end I force the window to close and it tells me that Pythonw.exe was non-responsive.

I had a similar issue last night after my first 24 hours of printing objects with my new printer, using Cura 14.01. I cancelled a print using the printer dialog window. The head returned home and the next time I attempted to print, the printer dialog appeared to hang. I finally Force Closed the program (got a Pythonw message), only to have the same problem again.

Next, I rebooted (OS X 10.8) and now I get the "No baudrate found.." error, rather than a hanging dialog window. I can update the Arduino firmware using Cura, but it appears that the controller board has a problem? The Error Log shows a random string of 4-5 characters as a response from the printer for each Baudrate detection request.

I didn't have time to remove the controller board from the printer last night. I will resume troubleshooting this morning.

*Edit: I'm printing fine from an old Windows XP laptop with 14.01.

I recommend getting ulticontrollers for both of you. I found USB printing to be too unreliable. I know it costs another $200 or so but it's worth it. It is soooo worth it. Then your PC can crash, cura can crash, whatever. It won't matter if you are printing from the SD card on the ulticontroller. I did a print once and one hour into it it died because windows wants to do a stupid (I hate you microsoft) windows update including reboot with no warning when I started the print. I assume there was a popup message saying something like "rebooting in 20 minutes, press Yes to reboot now, No to reboot later".

That wouldn't help in this case because Cura isn't even generating any gcode. There doesn't seem to be a button for "Prepare" so I presume it does this in the window that is hanging.

That wouldn't help in this case because Cura isn't even generating any gcode. There doesn't seem to be a button for "Prepare" so I presume it does this in the window that is hanging.

The prepare button was removed more then 6 months ago. If the print button is not grayed out, GCode is generated. But it is no longer generated next to the STL file.

There are some issues with the USB printing dialog. I haven't found the cause if it hanging yet. I do know it's loading the GCode file when you press it, which with a large file can take a while, causing an empty USB dialog for a while. But that does recover.

because windows wants to do a stupid (I hate you microsoft) windows update including reboot with no warning when I started the print. I assume there was a popup message saying something like "rebooting in 20 minutes, press Yes to reboot now, No to reboot later".

A bit off topic but you do know that you can disable that, right? It's just a setting away.

"rebooting in 20 minutes, pr

I always select "ask me before upgrade" in the settings so I don't know if I messed up this time or if my setting got overridden or what. I have 6 computers actively used in the house, typically every day. Of course this error only occurred on the one closest to the UM but what about java update? What about firefox update? Some other update? photoshop? I like power saver but I don't want it enabled during a print so I have to remember to turn it off and on all the time. Most software updates won't reboot my computer but I'm not 100% sure which ones might and might not. Besides I had other USB issues, sometimes it would stop for no apparent reason. So I don't use USB anymore. UM even officially said it's not supported on the UM2 even though it's mostly the same software and hardware.

I just installed 14.03 (had 13.12 till now) on an old labtop with windows xp to generate the gcode. it worked fine, but 14.03 is hanging as soon I click in layerview or try to wirte gcode....

time for a new labtop ?

There's a Cura log file somewhere with errors. Post it for a diagnosis. Probably something about your graphics card.

hmmm... cura seems not to be writing any error log or dump-files. python does. there are 4 files prpeared to send to mitcrosoft dr. watson:

appcompat.txt

manifest.txt

pythonw.exe.hdmp (45mb)

pythonw.exe.mdmp

which file would have the answer ?

i'll try first to find some new graphicdriver. somehow I like my old thinkpad, it does its work slow but solid and don't want to throw it into the bin for some new whatever...

thank you anyway!