Cura ignoring gcode variables

morrows_end

Posted · Cura ignoring gcode variables

I'm trying to use Cura 4.11 with my Lulzbot Taz 6.   I can't even really get started though because the starter code uses gcode variables that Cura apparently ignores now. For my start gcode, I have :

M109 R{material_wipe_temperature} ; wait for extruder to reach wiping temp

Which should replace the variable with the extruder temp as below:

M109 R140 ; wait for extruder to reach wiping temp

But it doesn't... It just prints exactly that line, curly brackets and all in my final gcode.   There are several other areas where variables are used and they are all ignored.

Is there a special setting I should turn on somewhere? Were these variables removed at some point? I can't imagine why they would have as they are really useful.

I cannot really help you with your specific question, but Lulzbot has/had their own modified Cura version, which is different from the official UM version.

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

I cannot really help you with your specific question, but Lulzbot has/had their own modified Cura version, which is different from the official UM version.

I've been using that version for a while. To be honest, I don't like it as much for some reason. Maybe I'm not experienced enough, but I feel like I'm missing out on some plugins that I had already learned to use before I got my Taz 6.   I had previously had a prusa i3 clone that I added dual extruders and other tweaks to. With the Taz 6, I'd like to add my own dual extruders as well, but I feel like I have less control over configuration options with the Lulzbot edition of cura.  Technically lulzbot is open source, but even for someone who codes a lot on both computers and embedded systems, there's just sooo much code to digest before I'd be able to tell what the customizations are in their version.

1 hour ago, ahoeben said:

As far as I can see, the material_wipe_temperature setting is not available in Ultimaker Cura 4.11, so there is nothing to replace that pattern with.

Well darn... That's just one of the settings that is not working so I can assume that all the others are no longer supported either. I wonder why these were done away with. 

12 minutes ago, morrows_end said:

I wonder why these were done away with. 

They were features of Cura LE, but were never part of Ultimaker Cura. They are not "done away with"; they were never there.

15 minutes ago, morrows_end said:

Well darn... That's just one of the settings that is not working so I can assume that all the others are no longer supported either. I wonder why these were done away with. 

I think they were never there in Ultimaker Cura.

*** ahoeben was faster ***

Posted (edited) · Cura ignoring gcode variables

Oh. I guess that makes sense then. 

The main issue I have with LE is the inability to install plugins, specifically some of yours actually.  In the latest version of LE the "browse plugins" which is supposed to open the marketplace is broken and always blank. I'm not the only user with this issue, their forums are full of unanswered questions about it.   I had been using vanilla Cura with my old printer connected to octoprint, however without the marketplace for LE, the only way to install plugins is with a .curaplugin file. Not all of the plugins in the marketplace have releases. 

Edited by morrows_end