Printing problems after initial layers

cellmenai

Posted · Printing problems after initial layers

Having problems with material feed or retraction not quite sure what's happening. It starts off OK and then has problems. Please see photo and help me with solving the problem we're having.

This is a UM2.

PrinterError

What speed, temperature and layer height are you printing at? What is the material. Do you get clicking from the extruder as it jumps back repeatedly during the poor quality part?

Speed: Printing 50mm/s; travel 50mm/s; base 5mm/s

Temperation 210

0.2mm layer height

Printing in PLA and a lot of jumping around of material going on

The absolute fastest I can print at .2 layer at 210C is 60mm/sec without getting underextrusion. So you are near the very limit of what my UM2 can do for light blue ultimaker PLA. You are probably over that limit for this particular color of PLA. I suggest you either slow down to 40mm/sec or raise the temp to 220C. I think raising the temp is probably the better option here.

Note that the bottom layer by default prints slower and it slowly speeds up over the next few layers until it gets up to your 50mm/sec.

Details here:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/4127-um2-extrusion-rates-revisited/

Oh - and your photo seems to be showing typical underextrusion although it's a bit hard to see what I'm looking at.

Yes, try increasing the temperature to 220 or even 230. Also, you should be able to print the first layer much faster than 5mm/s - I generally use 40mm/s for the first layer with PLA on glass with a light coating of gluestick at 60ºC.

If increasing temperature doesn't help, you're probably experiencing one of the senarios in this thread, that a number of us are experiencing with our UM2s

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/3976-almost-always-missing-layers-underextruding/

Have increased temperature to 230.

Speed down to 40mm/s.

Still no difference so took the material feeder off and adjusted the pinch wheel.

Seem to be getting a mix of results dependent upon PLA colour.

Now seem to have extra ribs added to the part when printing. The 'walls' aren't showing in Cura and yet it prints them?

Have you made sure that the knurled sleeve that is supposed to drive the filament forward is properly attached to the motor shaft? Some people have had that slip, causing under extrusion.

Is the extruder clicking audibly when printing? Perhaps you could post some video of the print in progress?

Also, I don't understand what you mean about walls/ribs. Please post some photos.

The 'walls' aren't showing in Cura and yet it prints them?

Please post picture. Did you check "enable retraction"? Not checking this can cause "stringing" or what you might be calling "walls".