Reasons why I swithcing Cura <-> Prusa slicer

VladimirK

Posted (edited) · Reasons why I swithcing Cura <-> Prusa slicer

Cura:
pro: easily removable supports

contra: printing useless things, unfinished circles. For materials with low adhesion like HIPS (Ultrabase plus PvP glue, 105C printing bad) last thing is very annoying. For example for "Extruder base" body in https://a360.co/30W6v03 it prints unfinished circles and additional useless parts near for horizontal holes while Prusa do it properly.

Prusa:

contra: can't properly set dynamic cooling yet (sometime results worse than expected, sometime it doesn't cooling at all - halloween pumpkin PLA was quite terrible), problems of removing support

Hemera left thin fan square nuts v38.zip

Edited by VladimirK

• 1 month later...
    Posted · Reasons why I swithcing Cura <-> Prusa slicer

I wasn't aware that you were the one handing out that award 😉

In all seriousness; If you have suggestions on how to improve something, feel free to suggest them on github. But your post as is is far to vague for us to do anything with it. There simply isn't any actionable bit of information in it.

• Like 1

I guess I forgot how easily offended people are today and after seeing 2 words "switching" and "Prusa" most of them even wouldn't bother to even read the title to the end before turning into "go away!!!" mode. "<->" suppose to be arrows in both ways meaning that I'm switching there and back again depending from model. Maybe I'm already too old for that in my 50-th. For example last one issue are supports to nowhere that cannot be easily removed by support blocking in some models

Unnecessary support near holes.jpg

A4_Towel Holder v5.zip

Edited by VladimirK

Offended? I'm not offended. I just didn't understand what you were posting (apart from that you were no longer using Cura). So I decided to wish you good luck with Prusa slicer, which is also a good slicer.

But let me repeat this again; If you find any bugs report them on github.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2021 at 10:23 AM, nallath said:

apart from that you were no longer using Cura

Where I said that? There is no horizontal arrows in alphabet, "switching Cura <-> Prusa" suppose to mean in both directions.

Next time I'll try to report on github, I thought this forum related to Cura.

Edited by VladimirK

7 hours ago, VladimirK said:

Next time I'll try to report on github

If you do, please be as specific as possible, and don't heap multiple problems into one issue. "Reproduction steps" are especially important; these are the things you do that lead to a certain (problematic) effect. This way the developers can "follow along" and reproduce your steps to see what is going on. Often problems don't reproduce unless a specific order of steps is followed. An issue that just says "it doesn't work" cannot be remedied (because it likely works for the developers, otherwise it would not have been released), and "printing useless things" is just too vague to know for developers what is going on.

Edited by ahoeben

I have both Prusa and Ultimaker printers and use both PrusaSlicer and Cura.

Have you asked about the relevant PS issues over at the Prusa forum?

9 hours ago, VladimirK said:

Where I said that? There is no horizontal arrows in alphabet, "switching Cura <-> Prusa" suppose to mean in both directions.

Next time I'll try to report on github, I thought this forum related to Cura.

Fair. But next time I would suggest using a title like "Reasons why I keep switching between Cura and Prusa". I think that would have been clearer.

• Like 1

@VladimirK I viewed the gcode file you provided.  Without a project file it's tough to determine, but IF you have Normal support and IF it's set to Build Plate Only then that short piece of support that goes nowhere MAY be the beginning of a support for the roof of the horizontal hole (which is where any support blocker should be placed), or there MAY be an issue with the model and Cura is being fooled.  As @ahoeben says, it's tough to provide support or to give advice if the posters themselves don't provide enough information to troubleshoot a problem.  If the problem is something within Cura then those people involved in the development want to know what is going on so they can fix it.  They need a proper trail to follow in order to reproduce a problem and it's really up to the posters (both here and on Github) to provide that trail.