Nozzle offset probe failed

glefebvre

Posted · Nozzle offset probe failed

Hi,

We've been having this issue with one of our Ultimaker S3 during leveling where the printer senses the nozzle offset to be off.

What happens (also seen in the video):

-nozzle (clean) of print core 2 touches the glass bed (clean), as normal

-Print core 2 gets lifted by the lift switch, as normal

-nozzle (clean) of print core 1 slowly lowers to detect de glass bed, as normal

-before even touching the build plate the leveling stops with the error "Nozzle offset failed. Please check the nozzle and bed and try again"

This error most of the time a print is launched but not everytime. I would say we get the error 2 times every 3 print launch. when it fails we usually simply relaunch the print a couple of times until it it levels correctly. 

Ultimaker S3 Error.zip

If it gets the error before the nozzle touches the glass then the sensor is failing.  Check the 2 wires inside the print head that go to the sensor board.  When you open the front of the print head, the sensor board swings down with it.  Check those wires (very gently tug).  Also keep radio frequency noise sources at least a meter away from the printer (e.g. cell phones, microwaves, laptops, raspberry pi's, electric motors).

Do you have the latest firmware?  A year or two ago UM improved the leveling software.

There is also a leveling sensor test in the maintenance menu.  If it passes, test it a few times.  If it fails there then that is good as the problem isn't intermittent and you can experiment.

Talk to your reseller - they might know much more than me.

All the wires for the sensor board are proprelly connected (on the sensor board and behind the print head). There is nothing close to the printer that could affect the radio frequency. The firmware version is 6.5.1 (latest is 6.5.2, i will update it but i doubt that is the source of the probleme). 

When i perform the leveling sensor test, it fails with ER45.

If theres nothing else i can check then I guess the only option left is to call my reseller and ship them the printer.

Thank you

I am having the same issue on the S5. During calibration, the table will often stop before touching the #2 print core. When the table tries to touch the #1 print core I get the "Nozzle offset probe failed. Please check the nozzles and bed and try again" warning and it aborts the print. I have checked the wires on the sensor like mentioned above. Any other ideas?   

During calibration, the table will often stop before touching the #2 print core.

You are observant!  That's good.  many people don't watch the calibration procedure.

Yeah your detector is defective.  Make sure there are no radio interference electronics nearby such as another printer, cell phone, laptop, or other electronic device.  Keep electronica devices at least a meter away and see if that helps.  If not then you probably need to start replacing parts.

It looks like you are in the United states.  if not then contact your reseller but if you are in USA I'd just contact fbrc8.com directly.  They built all the UM printers sold in the USA.  They are experts and have all the spare parts and they have a good support team that are experienced in this exact issue.  Send them an email now at support@fbrc8.com explaining that it fails before the core touches the glass and include your serial number (if you don't include the SN they will just ask for that and this will delay your support some more).

By the way, you should also run the level sensor test in the maintenance menu and tell them the result of that test.

By the way it is possible to disable active leveling but is tricky and you could brick your printer if you mess up (unbricking requires a uSD card, taking the bottom of the printer off and other things - basically you could lose a day).  Also unless you are printing small prints - less than 100mm by 100mm then you really should be doing active leveling to compensate for a glass bed that is not flat.

On 11/16/2021 at 4:41 PM, gr5 said:

By the way it is possible to disable active leveling but is tricky and you could brick your printer if you mess up (unbricking requires a uSD card, taking the bottom of the printer off and other things - basically you could lose a day).  Also unless you are printing small prints - less than 100mm by 100mm then you really should be doing active leveling to compensate for a glass bed that is not flat.

Th UMe glass beds aren't flat to the necessary tolerances for a good print?! Your kidding me...

Given the price of the UM glass build plates, which seem to be >2x what other 3D print manufacturers sell their glass plates for, and that is about 10x what a simple pane of glass cost (getting kinda hard anymore to find a hardware store that sells glass... as most only sell the acrylic stuff so you don't sue them for getting cut I guess, and that glass isn't tempered, but still, what is that markup for if the glass isn't flat?)