Option add on for S5 and others

RogueWave

Posted · Option add on for S5 and others

1)

On the cover for the filament feeder, like to see a clean plastic cover, to see if the gear is clogged up with filament particales. Taking the cover off and on is not necessary with a clear cover.

2)   Cleaning the nozzle consumer a lot of down time. Having a seperate device, for cleaning, while my S5 is printing is a must have item....saves a lot of time

3) Printer stop half way during a 2 day print job, filament not feeding maybe empty spool......problem was a clogged nozzle.....forced to abort job....

have the option to clean/change a nozzle, then rusume printing.....

Please consider the about to supplement an already excellent printer to make it a super super printer!!!!!!!!

Thank you

• Like 1

I can see number 1 being handy for people who have easy access to the rear of the machines, not something i personally have to be able to see inside the feeder.

Number 3 would be real handy, but i can also see many prints still failing because a lot the time when you get a clogged nozzle its kept on printing for a few layers with little filament coming out, so on resume of the print you could have missed layers below and if you walk away without seeing it you could be faced with a big mess and lots of wasted filament.

Number 2, i'm not really sure what you mean. on my printers what are printing almost 24/7 most the time, i have like 5 min downtime for cleaning the printer about every month.

On 11/9/2021 at 1:11 AM, RogueWave said:

Printer stop half way during a 2 day print job, filament not feeding maybe empty spool......problem was a clogged nozzle.....forced to abort job....

have the option to clean/change a nozzle, then rusume printing.....

for 1 and 2 I don't know.
    but option 3, aka  this quoted block.... really should be there.
    I'm fairly sure the pintcore cleaning wizard should show up in the ... menu...
    But it indeed does not :(

I Ran into this myself recently, I solved it by upping the material temp as high as it could go in the tune menu, removing the bowden tube at the bottom of the s5 feeder,  (slowly stretching the tube away won't interrupt your print, jerking it might mark the filament bay as empty though so be warned)
    and then for the first 5 mm of material I manually pushed the filament into the feeder (adding my strength to it and getting past any grinds).
    That solved the problem for me.

Janky workaround, I know. I'll have a look and see why that menu item is missing...

Posted (edited) · Option add on for S5 and others

Practically speaking, you speak from my soul.

1. I had also wanted to do it once. But after I hadn't seen the feeder on the back wall for over a year, I had forgotten about it.

2. that's what I wish too. I now have a box full of clogged cores. Buying new ones is too easy and cleaning them is no fun. With the material station and cabinet, the printer is higher up in my house. So I have to stand on a platform to reach the print head. I've already thought about building something like that. Like the assistant, but separate.

On 11/9/2021 at 12:19 PM, Carla_Birch said:

5 min downtime for cleaning the printer about every month

I didn't know you could play through the core cleaning wizard in 5 minutes. I'm missing the cheat. For me, the first level "Cold-Pull" 1/10 already takes half an hour. I hope, we are talking about the same game? 😇 (No offence, I'm just seriously puzzled.)

3. I would also like to be able to change the print head. In an early version this used to work. (Or rather, the printer didn't notice that it was possible) But now the print head moves too far to the front panel. (In addition, the printer crashes when the print head is dragged outside the wizards).

4. I have an additional wish.

When the printer crashes completely, (like reboot is required-) the print nozzle remains stuck on the plate. As long as the part is -not removed- from the plate, you cannot adjust the print head temperature. But when you tell the printer that the object is removed from the plate, it immediately tries a reference run and tears the rods out of their holders. If I could heat up the print head even when the object was still sitting on the plate, it wouldn't be so violent. Unfortunately, I couldn't remove the whole part from the plate because the plate was coated and the part was as big as the plate. So it had cooled down and was waiting for me to take it off the plate.

Edited by UlrichC-DE

On 11/9/2021 at 6:19 AM, Carla_Birch said:

I can see number 1 being handy for people who have easy access to the rear of the machines, not something i personally have to be able to see inside the feeder.

Number 3 would be real handy, but i can also see many prints still failing because a lot the time when you get a clogged nozzle its kept on printing for a few layers with little filament coming out, so on resume of the print you could have missed layers below and if you walk away without seeing it you could be faced with a big mess and lots of wasted filament.

Number 2, i'm not really sure what you mean. on my printers what are printing almost 24/7 most the time, i have like 5 min downtime for cleaning the printer about every month.

Number 2 is a device to install a nozzle into to unclogg a nozzle. seperate from my S5.... works off 110v etc just a small device to heat up the nozzle for hot/cold pull operation 

On 11/10/2021 at 6:53 PM, UlrichC-DE said:

I didn't know you could play through the core cleaning wizard in 5 minutes. I'm missing the cheat. For me, the first level "Cold-Pull" 1/10 already takes half an hour. I hope, we are talking about the same game? 😇 (No offence, I'm just seriously puzzled.)

I dont do do my print cores every month and to be honest because i stick to the same filament and the printers are going alot i dont seem to get many blocked print cores. So i normal spend a day when i have some printer down time with a break in orders and give them a quick clean so they are then ready for once orders need to be started to be printed again.

Normal monthly clean is oil rods and that, clean the inside the printer out, if i do get any blocked cores when i dont have the down time gap, i swap the cores out till i do, bit like you i have a number of spares so i can just have that down time day and clean them all.

2. How much are you willing to pay for such a device? My guess is that less than 100 of such units will be sold, so engineering costs will make up the majority of the production costs. Ball park figure for consumer price for a very simple looking device would be around €1000.

I doubt Ultimaker will create such a device.

My suggestion is to buy multiple spare cores and then use a quiet day to clean the clogged cores in a batch. Cheaper and more flexible than having another tool lying around.

On 11/16/2021 at 11:33 PM, Carla_Birch said:

because i stick to the same filament and the printers

That's the trick. I also do it that way. I have cores for individual filament types that I print more often.
    Nevertheless, I have a few cores that I would have to clean. That doesn't stay away.
    I need a little longer on average. Rather 10 minutes because the bundle sometimes refuses. Filter change, and mother material station.