Change default 'Save' folder for gcode file?

terrypin

Posted · Change default 'Save' folder for gcode file?

When I save to disk after slicing, the default offered is always C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 4.12.1 ... where I'd never want to place my output. Where can I change that please?

Cura should remember the last folder you used. However, if that folder does not exist anymore, it may default to the current working directory, which is the folder in Program Files. There is no easy way to change that behavior.

Thanks, but that doesn't square with what happens here. I manually change to the folder where I want to save the file. Cura duly saves it. But the next time I start a save, whenever that is, the folder that appears as the default is once again

C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 4.12.1

What happens on your PC?

On my PC, Cura defaults to the last folder I have saved to.

Let's try to dig a bit deeper. Go to Help->Show configuration folder. In the folder that opens, locate the part that starts with [local_file]. For me, that part has the following entries:

[local_file]
    last_used_type = application/vnd.ms-package.3dmanufacturing-3dmodel+xml
    dialog_save_path = C:/Users/Aldo/Documents/3d prints/molen lithophanes
    dialog_load_path = C:/Users/Aldo/Documents/3d prints/molen lithophanes

Apparently I loaded from and saved to the same folder, and the last thing I wrote was an .ufp file for an Ultimaker S5 instead of a plain gcode file. What does it say for you?

Hi

Some years after; still the same question; but I can't found any ini style config file in the config folder (Help->Show configuration folder). I grepped for "local_file" and "dialog_save_path". 

Did I missed something ?

Cura 5.4.0 / Ubuntu 23.04 / Running from App image

On Ubuntu Cura used to default to the most recent folder saved to.  I think 5.0 or 5.2 was the last version that did that.  I have the same problem now on Cura 5.3 and 5.4.  The "last saved" folder doesn't update and has been fixed to the same folder for about a year.  Quite annoying.

Indeed. Even when launched from the directory I want to output G-code it still output to ~ by default :s

For me it's stuck on a particular folder that I was writing gcode files to a year ago. 

So I guess one workaround is to run cura 4.X, save a gcode file to a particular folder, exit, then launch latest cura and now you have a permanent default folder.

Actually had a topic pop up about this not long ago - 

My experiments in there show that the method you're describing doesn't seem to reliable fix, but it can change depending on distro or (presumably) more importantly, desktop environment.

I don't know if it was in 5.0 or a more recent version (I was only testing 5.4 and 4.13), but Cura switched from using the native Qt (the widget toolkit it uses for the UI) file dialogs to ones native to each desktop environment. I'm guessing that either prevents it from writing to its settings - or just can't apply it because it's not using a built in dialog any more. This even applies to KDE (which uses Qt itself) - probably because it's giving control entirely to the desktop environment, not using its own file picker at all.