"Caution hot surface" after print

waywardengineer

Posted · "Caution hot surface" after print

Can there please be an option to disable the need for the build plate to cool down before the printer allows you to hit "Confirm removal" or do anything else?
-It wastes time because usually I've removed the part already

-It wastes energy because now the build plate has to be re-heated for the next print.
For me, it ends up making me handle hot stuff much more- lots of times it's too frustrating to wait, so I will remove the hot glass build plate and stick a giant chunk of aluminum on there to get the thing to let me keep going.

• Like 2

lol!  Yes, same for me.  This firmware behavior is dangerous and can cause burns.

This actually makes me handle the glass plate more, not less.  Because I remove the glass plate and wrap it in a towel.  Then I stick my bare hands directly on the aluminum over the sensor to try to speed the cooling up.

I don't do this every time but I've done it maybe 30 times.

The first time it happened I didn't realize it was trying to cool.  I had put a towel over the glass to keep it warm while I waited for the core to cool.  I had to wait a LONG time.  It wasn't clear to me that it was waiting for the bed to cool.  This messaging may have been from an older firmware, I'm not sure.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, gr5 said:

This firmware behavior is dangerous and can cause burns.

Might it be impatience around removing your print that is dangerous and causes burns, instead of the printer telling you specifically not to handle it since it's hot? 😜

https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011432940-Remove-the-print-from-the-Ultimaker-S5

I would certainly agree it would be nice to tell the printer to skip that when you have to stop your print ahead of time and just want to restart it, though I'm not sure how UM would differentiate between those circumstances.

A side note, removing your print while hot will contribute to it cooling more quickly/unevenly and can mess with dimensions/accuracy. 

Posted (edited) · "Caution hot surface" after print

I've been printing smaller single layer things for light diffusion, and because you can print only one at a time in vase mode and they print quickly, this wait time really becomes a big portion of the total cycle time.
    It's not a big print where I'm worried about distortion, and they just pop right off the build plate by hand. 
    I wish there was an option to click once on something that said "Yes, I know I might get burned if I'm dumb about it" and then it would allow you to hit the "confirm removal" button  as soon as the print finishes from then on until the option is changed back.

Edited by waywardengineer
    • Like 1

I can't say I was ever a fan of this "feature" (it's supposed to stop you from damaging the print prematurely and yes people have also complained about us allowing you to remove the print too early) but despite my arguments very similar to yours it got in ages ago, it's a bit more visible now but it's been there for quite a while.
    We have a new UX person since then though so it's at least up for discussion, I'll point him to this discussion.

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

Removing a print faster while the bed is still hot is one thing for me. It doesnt happen much often but it does from time to time. 

But the need to let it cool down before starting a new print so the heating starts again right away also slows down the workflow. 

When I am printing with PC on a 110°C bed and I forgot to apply my adhesion glue/there was a leveling issue/a material blob from the nozzle might ruin my print/with the first layer I notice a slicing mistake/somewhere mid-print I notice something isn't printing like I thought it would and other scenarios...Waiting for a 110°C bed to cool down to 60°C so I can retry my print, which heats back up to 110°C again takes quite a while.

Yes, the bed is very hot while doing this and yes, there is the risk of burning. But even when removing failed prints or first layers I don't touch the bed. I take a metal spatula and remove whatever I have to remove. Sometimes there isn't even the need to remove anything. 

The idea to make the printer operation more safe through the warning of a hot surface and to let the printer cool down before starting a new one is a good one in theory. 
    But it doesn't even line up with the ability to set the bed temperature manually to 120°C without a warning on the printer or that I can open the doors while printing and nothing stops or slows down.

I would therefore like to see an option to skip the cool-down as well. Let it have a confirmation question with a big red warning so the user can see what consequences this has and knows what he is about to do. I believe that mostly experienced users would use this function anyway.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...