Is leaving the Ultimaker2 alone safe?

simmonsstummer

Posted · Is leaving the Ultimaker2 alone safe?

Hi,

since i need to make several long time prints.. i would need to do it at night to gain time.

My printer is in my lab and i was wondering if is safe to leave it alone.

Is there any problem or dangerous behaviour which makes this a dangerous thing?

zero problem..

i come home. prepair my 3d models and clck print at at about 9PM and let the printer run every night.

I did this as well with my ultimaker1..... zero problem

In two and a half years I have never heard of one ultimaker catching fire..

so.... go for it... and get your work done my friend !

Ian :)

Ultimaker have done tests where they've disabled the temperature feedback and simply let it heat up as much as it feels like without any dangerous results. I imagine it would probably smell pretty bad though :)

I remember a post not too long ago (I can't remember by whom) of a quite serious happening. The print was delaminating and the print head got entangled into the plastic nonsense and got stuck. The result was a broken nozzle which made a quite loud noise. That was with a UM1, I think.

well but definetly this is a problem but i don't see a danger.. or not?

Depends on what the parts of the 200°C hot nozzle are landing on...

I think simmon is talking about a fire that will burn down his work place or cause serious damage. I don't think this is a worry. The worst thing likely to happen is that something will get knocked off the bed and you will print a big mess and waste some filament. The worst thing possible is that the thermostat falls out and the head heats to 300C and wrecks itself (the nylon parts will melt and be destroyed). But no serious fire damage to the UM or your building.

I think simmon is talking about a fire that will burn down his work place or cause serious damage. I don't think this is a worry. The worst thing likely to happen is that something will get knocked off the bed and you will print a big mess and waste some filament. The worst thing possible is that the thermostat falls out and the head heats to 300C and wrecks itself (the nylon parts will melt and be destroyed). But no serious fire damage to the UM or your building.

Yes, this is exactly what i fear.

About thermostat, two days ago i started a print and in the time the nozzle need to warm up i went in front of the computer. After some minutes, everything was silent so i checked and the display showed me an error due to the thermostat or the temperature sensor of the plate. Something like "thermostat problem please contact ultimaker" then i turn off the ultimaker and turn on and everything was ok.

Is something that i need to take care or it's a bug?

If a status display on a product tells you to contact the company then you probably should do that. Just http://support.ultimaker.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit. You can raise the priority of the ticket. If Ultimaker support tells you that everything is ok and you can run it, you're fine.

The UM2 has a CE declaration. This means it is declared to be safe under certain conditions (see warnings, notes and info messages in the UM2 manual).

It's not possible to say a device is safe per se. If you put an Ultimaker into a haystack you don't have to wonder about setting the haystack at fire. If you put it into a room with just concrete walls, floor and ceiling where's nothing which can burn, it is extremely safe (overkill). The safety of the device (up to a well-defined level) is Ultimaker's responsibility (because of the CE declaration). To run it safely in your environment and taking error messages seriously is yours.

"thermostat problem please contact ultimaker"

This is important to fix right away. It means you have a loose wire to the thermocouple of the heated bed. It's very easy to fix. It's either the solder connection or the screw. I would just tighten the screw and see if that fixes it.

Here is a photo of what I'm talking about:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/3735-a-fix-for-ultimaker-2-heated-bed-not-working/?p=29106

The larger 2 wires are the heater wires - it sounds like they are fine. The smaller two wires are the temperature sensor wires - one of them is very likely loose - tighten these two screws.

For further reference, these are the five screws that you need to remove in order to take apart the heated bed:

WAIT - THIS IS WRONG - NOT THOSE TOP TWO SCREWS - INSTEAD THE TWO SCREWS JUST ABOVE THAT ON THE BLACK CONNECTOR.

um2_heatedbed.jpg

so i need to tighter the two centered screw here:

gallery_67_296_235336.jpg

looking and touching quickly they do not seems to be loosen.. is really necessary to try?

done but nothing...

if i try to heat up the buildplate it starts right from 85°C...(the measured temp) and i don't think could be right since i've just turned it on and is completely cold...

must be something else.