Need help with PETG printing

jteberle

Posted · Need help with PETG printing

Folks;

I need some assistance/knowledge on how best to print with PETG. I have tried at 210 and 220 degrees Celsius and I still get a bunch of strings and little pieces breaking off. I am enclosing a picture. Any ideas on how to get a smooth finished product would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

IMG_0468.JPG

Posted · Need help with PETG printing

Have you started by printing a temperature tower and retraction towers (distance and speed)?  That would be a good first step.

I've recently played with settings for PETG in Cura and have it dialed in pretty well for my Anycubic I3 Mega (with a Bowden extruder).  I can't remember everything I tried, but I'll go through the settings I can remember.  Your mileage will almost certainly vary.

Finding the right temperature and retraction settings helped. 

Printing Temperature: 250 C

Retraction Distance: 6.0 mm

Retraction Speed: 40 mm/s

Speed seemed to play a part in it for me - specifically, printing slowly.  It's agonizing, but it works.

Print Speed: 40 mm/s

Outer Wall Speed: 30 mm/s

Playing around with combing also seemed to help.  Specifically, the following settings:

Combing Mode: "Within Infill"

Max Comb Distance Without Retract: 8.0 mm

I hope some of that helps.