Ultimaker 3 - Restarting on its own when I start the print..

Floyd29

Posted · Ultimaker 3 - Restarting on its own when I start the print..

Hello Everyone,

I have ultimaker 3 Ext that I have been using since last 4 years for my R&D work. I use it only 3-4 times in a month. 

So its relatively new machine only.

Since last two weeks I am struggling to print an important part..

The moment I print, the printer restarts after about 4-5 sec. 

The movement is seized immediately..

I have tried to heat the build plate & that works fine ..

I have run switching test diagnostics & that runs fine..

However, when I tried to run active levelling it does give the same problem & restarts in about 4-5 secs..

Can anyone please advise some solution ? 

Thanks you very much

It's almost certainly your power brick.  They are not cheap - around $90 or 90 euros.  It's common for them to fail like this (not able to put out as much current as they could before).

It has a computer in the power brick and the computer has a few sensors to keep it from self destructing or catching fire.  Usually it shuts off due to high current but is it possible in your case that it is a heat releated issue?  If it is on top of some other warm piece of equipment?  I doubt it but it's a consideration.  Keep the brick in the shade in as cool an area as possible.

Anyway you probably need another power brick.

Meanwell

GST220A24-R7B
    GS220A24-R7B

Above are the 2 power supplies that work for the UM3.  The one without the "T" can put out significantly more power even though they are both rated for the exact same amount of power.  The "T" one is, I believe, safer because it shuts off at lower power usage.

• 2 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...

For the benefit of those that encountered this issue, I replaced the power supply with the recommended GST220A24-R7B and the problem appears to be resolved.