Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
conradshawcross

cura fills in open objects!

Hi there everyone,

I'm getting a repeated problem with cura filling in some pipe shaped objects that I'm printing.

It starts off perfectly then at some point its starts to make a spiders web type surface across the face of the pipe (which is oriented along the z axis, pointing up)

I can see these layers in the layer view of cura but can't see how to stop it from creating them, I'm having to cut the layers out by hand but this is not ideal.

Has anyone seen this error before, is there a work around or a way to fix it in the expert settings?

I've tried to attach some pics but not sure how to, does this forum not support pictures?.

Thanks

You can add pics to your gallery, and then reference them in your posts using the 'My media' button in the formatting bar. However you may need to get through the 5 post initial minimum before you can do that.

I think this is a bug in Cura, perhaps related to the 'combine everything (type A)' setting. Check in Cura's expert settings to make sure that is off. Also, make sure you have the latest version of Cura.

I've seen this a few times. Uncheck everything in "fix horrible" settings in expert settings. Daid is aware of the problem and recently changed the code but I don't know if he released that fix yet.

Go into full settings. Don't use the Quickprint modes, they will only hinder you in the long run.

Again it's probably the fix horrible settings combined with the fact that your model is probably not properly formed. You do have complete control over what gets filled in - the inside of your model gets filled, the outside doesn't (apart from the odd layer that you saw, which is a known bug). The problem comes if your STL file isn't properly closed or contains intersecting surfaces - then Cura (or any slicer) has to guess what counts as the inside.

Note that the 'expert settings' where the 'fix horrible' settings live is a separate control panel (accessed under the expert menu) and is distinct from being in 'full settings' mode.

Perhaps you could post some example STL files and gcodes for us to better see what is going on?

Thanks illuminarti,

I guess I'm going to have to get better acquainted with the expert settings. What looked like infill doesn't appear on the print so maybe I'm just miss-reading the layers colouring system also my computer gets super slow when I try to scroll through the layers which doesn't help. I'm pretty sure the .stl is sound as I've checked it in rhino for dodgy surfaces etc. and it looks good. I'm afraid I can't post the files the moment but I'll try and get into the expert settings instead!

Again, thanks for your help!

david

I'm pretty sure the .stl is sound

You can check in cura "xray view". Any red areas are places where you have internal walls that will mess up Cura. Cura doesn't show "holes" in your walls though so xray view won't show you everything but it's still helpful.

also my computer gets super slow when I try to scroll through the layers

Usually it's super slow while it loads the layers into some kind of 3d viewing thing and you can see the number at the top of the scroll bar increase occasionally but at some point it should suddenly stop being slow. Consider walking away for a minute and coming back and see if it's now very fast.