CuraEngine slicing help

Kaby

Posted (edited) · CuraEngine slicing help

Greetings!
I am developing an application and want to use CuraEngine for the G-Code generation. I have created custom printer and extruder definitions for my desired configuration and tried using them both in the Cura UI and in CuraEngine. Unfortunately, while Cura UI easily detects my custom printer definition and I am able to slice the passed STL-model and later view the generated G-Code, I have no success whatsoever slicing in CuraEngine.

If anyone could help me solve this issue, I would be very thankful. I will try to provide as much info as I can.

{
    "version": 2,
    "name": "Extruder 1",
    "inherits": "fdmextruder",
    "metadata": 
    {
        "machine": "cobod_bod_2",
        "position": "0"
    },

"overrides": 
    {
        "extruder_nr": { "default_value": 0 },
        "machine_nozzle_size": { "default_value": 40 },
        "material_diameter": { "default_value": 40 }
    }
}
  • Attached the .stl mesh
  • Slice command and arguments

CuraEngine.exe slice -v -p -j "cobod_bod_2.def.json" -o "CuraDebug.gcode" -l "MyFriends Basement.stl"

Personally, I think the issue is highlighted in in the message "Stopping process because there are no non-empty layers", but I have no idea what that means 😞

Note: the "fdmprinter.def.json" and "fdmextruder.def.json" as well as other required files are located in the same directory as the CuraEngine.exe. If any other information needed I would gladly provide it.

MyFriends Basement.stl

Edited by Kaby
slight formatting change

Posted · CuraEngine slicing help
    2 minutes ago, gr5 said:

Does it slice if you don't pass it any configuration file?

Do you mean not using the "-j "cobod_bod_2.def.json" parameter? If you do, then my answer is no, it doesn't:

d:\Program Files\CuraEngine\Install\bin>CuraEngine.exe slice -v -p -o "CuraDebug.gcode" -l "MyFriends Basement.stl"

Cura_SteamEngine version master
    Copyright (C) 2021 Ultimaker
    *license stuff*
    along with this program.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.
    [ERROR] Trying to retrieve setting with no value given: 'mesh_rotation_matrix'

Have you tried any other models? Have you tried slicing this model in Cura normally?

Your model is very large. Not in bytes, but in dimensions. In Cura, I had to scale it down to 1%. But I guess you are working with a "concrete" printer.

In addition to that, the model is modeled in a way that is not all that well-suited for (FDM) 3d printing. There are a lot of unnecessary internal structures. Cura does not mind them too much, but mister Mijagi told me before learn fly, first learn stand. ie: don't start with messy models.

I think the main problem though is that CuraEngine expects to be passed models that are positioned well in the build volume. This model seems to have an origin far away from the model. Cura (the frontend) automagically moves the model to the center of the buildplate. CuraEngine does not (it expects the frontend to do that).

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

I'm just about to try another sample model and a built in printer definition. I have tried slicing this model in Cura normally and it worked well.

Yes, it is large, and you are absolutely right: I am working with a concrete printer.

Thank you for pointing that out. The model was exported from Autodesk Revit and I just assumed the software did a pretty good job. I will take this into a count.

Oh, that is such a useful insight. I did not know, that the frontend does it by itself and just assumed it would work just fine in the CuraEngine. That is probably the main issue.

Thank you so much! You gave me a direction to go now 🙂