Cura crashes on start up

tobiac

Posted · Cura crashes on start up

Hey

Cura crashes on start up every time. I already tried several versions and completely clean installations.

I deleated the "\AppData\Local\Temp" folder and every other folders named "Cura" or "Ultimaker" on my system to get a clean installation, still no success.

Deleted new Windows updates and downgraded my Nvidia driver but it didn't help, after installing them again it surprisingly worked but after two pc restarts it crashes again.

I tried to run Cura with no internet connection and only one screen connected. And i have only one grafic card connected.

My pc specifications:

Ryzen 5 3600

Nvidia GTX 670

32 gb ram

Win 11

I already contacted the german Ultimaker forum but they coudln't help me as well.

Thanks for your help. (sorry for my bad english)

cura.log

17 minutes ago, tobiac said:

Cura crashes on start up every time.

Every time? The logs show you loaded a model and moved it around and slicing it a couple of times last night.

Did the crashes start to happen before or after that?

Posted (edited) · Cura crashes on start up

Similar situation here:

Starting today 1/31/22, Cura crashes on startup.  Had 4.12.1 installed - crashed.  Uninstalled that and installed 4.13.1 - crashes.

4.13.1 logs: 

Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "C:\build\Cura\4.13-exe\build\inst\lib\python3.8\site-packages\UM\Qt\Bindings\MainWindow.py", line 256, in _render
      File "C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 4.13.1\plugins\SolidView\SolidView.py", line 328, in endRendering
        array = np.asarray(QImageArrayView(xray_img)).view(np.dtype({
      File "numpy\core\_asarray.py", line 102, in asarray
    TypeError: int() argument must be a string, a bytes-like object or a number, not 'QImageArrayView'

Thread 0x0000441c (most recent call first):
      File "C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 4.13.1\plugins\USBPrinting\USBPrinterOutputDeviceManager.py", line 79 in _updateThread
      File "threading.py", line 870 in run
      File "threading.py", line 932 in _bootstrap_inner
      File "threading.py", line 890 in _bootstrap

Thread 0x000035a8 (most recent call first):
      File "threading.py", line 306 in wait
      File "zeroconf\__init__.py", line 2534 in wait
      File "zeroconf\__init__.py", line 1715 in run

Thread 0x00000d94 (most recent call first):
      File "threading.py", line 306 in wait
      File "threading.py", line 558 in wait
      File "C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 4.13.1\plugins\UM3NetworkPrinting\src\Network\ZeroConfClient.py", line 81 in _handleOnServiceChangedRequests

Thread 0x00003370 (most recent call first):
      File "zeroconf\__init__.py", line 1369 in run

Thread 0x00003bcc (most recent call first):
      File "C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 4.13.1\plugins\RemovableDriveOutputDevice\RemovableDrivePlugin.py", line 61 in _updateThread

Thread 0x00003790 (most recent call first):
      File "C:\build\Cura\4.13-exe\build\inst\lib\python3.8\site-packages\UM\Backend\Backend.py", line 165 in _storeStderrToLogThread

Thread 0x00001a00 (most recent call first):
      File "C:\build\Cura\4.13-exe\build\inst\lib\python3.8\site-packages\UM\Backend\Backend.py", line 153 in _storeOutputToLogThread

Thread 0x00003db8 (most recent call first):
      File "threading.py", line 302 in wait
      File "threading.py", line 433 in acquire
      File "C:\build\Cura\4.13-exe\build\inst\lib\python3.8\site-packages\UM\JobQueue.py", line 98 in _nextJob
      File "C:\build\Cura\4.13-exe\build\inst\lib\python3.8\site-packages\UM\JobQueue.py", line 124 in run

Thread 0x00003b34 (most recent call first):
      File "C:\build\Cura\4.13-exe\build\inst\lib\python3.8\site-packages\UM\JobQueue.py", line 98 in _nextJob
      File "C:\build\Cura\4.13-exe\build\inst\lib\python3.8\site-packages\UM\JobQueue.py", line 124 in run

Thread 0x00001be0 (most recent call first):

Thread 0x00002314 (most recent call first):

Thread 0x00003d44 (most recent call first):

Thread 0x00000580 (most recent call first):

Thread 0x0000382c (most recent call first):

Thread 0x000006f4 (most recent call first):

Current thread 0x00003f1c (most recent call first):
      File "C:\build\Cura\4.13-exe\build\inst\lib\python3.8\site-packages\cura\CrashHandler.py", line 398 in _logInfoWidget
      File "C:\build\Cura\4.13-exe\build\inst\lib\python3.8\site-packages\cura\CrashHandler.py", line 184 in _createDialog
      File "C:\build\Cura\4.13-exe\build\inst\lib\python3.8\site-packages\cura\CrashHandler.py", line 88 in __init__
      File "C:\build\Cura\4.13-exe\build\inst\bin\cura_app.py", line 162 in exceptHook
      File "C:\build\Cura\4.13-exe\build\inst\lib\python3.8\site-packages\UM\Qt\QtApplication.py", line 396 in exec_
      File "C:\build\Cura\4.13-exe\build\inst\lib\python3.8\site-packages\cura\CuraApplication.py", line 877 in run
      File "C:\build\Cura\4.13-exe\build\inst\bin\cura_app.py", line 236 in <module>
      File "Console.py", line 36 in run
      File "__startup__.py", line 74 in run

stderr.log

Edited by hyrax
    attach log file

1 hour ago, ahoeben said:

The logs show you loaded a model and moved it around and slicing it a couple of times last night.

Two weeks ago i had no porblems with Cura. Then suddently it crashed every time on startup. I tried (as mentioned) nearly everything to fix it. After i downgraded the nvidia driver, deleted the newest windows updates AND installed them all again, cura didn't crash (and i sliced some models) until i restarted my pc. Now it crashed every time again.

On 1/31/2022 at 6:00 AM, tobiac said:

Two weeks ago i had no porblems with Cura. Then suddently it crashed every time on startup. I tried (as mentioned) nearly everything to fix it. After i downgraded the nvidia driver, deleted the newest windows updates AND installed them all again, cura didn't crash (and i sliced some models) until i restarted my pc. Now it crashed every time again.

I have done some troubleshooting because I was also using the Creality Slicer. I thought it was a Win 11 issue. I have narrowed it down to Cura not working if my default monitor is a Displayport monitor. As long as my default is HDMI and the program starts on an HDMI connection I have no issues.

Please refer to the following thread:

Cura 5 Multi Monitor Crash

I recently updated my cura software to 5.1.1 latest.  When I start it , it goes through the usual bed leveling and then stops at the top and never moves.   I switched back to 5.0 and everything works fine. not sure what the problem is with the new update.

I would really like to use the new software, hopefully the problem will be resolved sortly.  Thanks. 

It sounds like something specific to cura and your printer.  What kind of printer do you have?  Maybe someone else has a similar problem.  I guess I would look at the gcodes of the bad gcode file to see what they are telling the printer to do and compare that to a gcode file that works.  The problem is most likely in the first 20 or so gcodes.

Are you printing through USB or using a uSD card or something else?

I have an Ender 3 pro with direct drive.  The new version just seems to stop when it gets ready to print.   It goes through the initial beginning, like checking bed leveling.  Once its done with that it goes into the position like its getting ready to start , but just stops.  I switched back to previous version and it works fine. 

Oh.  Well then post the first 30 or so lines of gcode from each file labelling which works and which one hangs.  It should be obvious once I see the gcodes.

I was able to solve this problem by running as administrator

every time I would open the app it would just be a white screen and say not responding, once I ran as administrator it fixed the issue

I believe Cura tries to access all your COM ports and network drives and also searches your LAN for ultimaker printers.  Until it had admin access it probably couldn't get to one of those things and unfortunately locked up.  Or perhaps you installed it as an admin and it couldn't update it's own config files?  Just some guesses.  I don't run it in admin mode.

FWIW in Linux I can't even get it to run if I try running it as a superuser. But in Windows you probably shouldn't have to run as admin because it's not trying to change anything in the system, just use it.

But Windows is a schmozzle of code that leads back >30 years and half of it is there to maintain backwards compatibility so anything is possible.