Cura-4.13.1.AppImage: version `GLIBC_2.28' not found (required by cura)

GrimGreeble

Posted · Cura-4.13.1.AppImage: version `GLIBC_2.28' not found (required by cura)

Hi,

I just tried switching to Cura-4.13.1 (AppImage) on Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon.

4.13.0 worked just fine but with 4.13.1 I get the following error message:

cura: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.28' not found (required by cura)

Have the requirements changed from 13.0 to 13.1? (Mint 19.3 uses glibc (2.27), so that is probably causing this.)

Thanks and have a great day/night,

Helge

Posted (edited) · Cura-4.13.1.AppImage: version `GLIBC_2.28' not found (required by cura)
    9 hours ago, GrimGreeble said:

Have the requirements changed from 13.0 to 13.1?

No, they should not have.

The 4.13.0 AppImage is still available here:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/releases/tag/4.13.0

You can have them both side by side. If the 4.13.0 AppImage still launches without a problem, then something went wrong when building the 4.13.1 AppImage.

Just to be sure, @nallath, was the Linux build-system changed/updated between 4.13.0 and 4.13.1?

Edited by ahoeben

Posted · Cura-4.13.1.AppImage: version `GLIBC_2.28' not found (required by cura)
    3 hours ago, ahoeben said:

You can have them both side by side. If the 4.13.0 AppImage still launches without a problem, then something went wrong when building the 4.13.1 AppImage.

Thanks @ahoeben, I'm keeping the old AppImages around, just in case. The previous ones are all working fine. Only the new 4.13.1 seems to be affected. 

4 hours ago, ahoeben said:

Just to be sure, @nallath, was the Linux build-system changed/updated between 4.13.0 and 4.13.1?

Not as far as I know.

I just double checked the appimage and the 14.13.1 it works on my machine. Appimages shouldn't use anything but what is in the image itself...

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, nallath said:

Appimages shouldn't use anything but what is in the image itself...

That is what I thought. I just tried and downloaded both versions a second time. And as before, I can launch 4.13.0 but 4.13.1 results in the above error message.

I just had a look at https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mint

Linux Mint 20.3 uses a newer glibc 2.31, my current Mint 19.3 is using glibc 2.27. Not sure if that matters though, as I thought the AppImage would take care of that. Unfortunately, I can't risk switching to Mint 20.3 right now.

I double checked it, we did switch. We're now building on debian buster. But that is also what your mint version is based on...

It seems that you're not the only one with problems like this: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/653465/how-to-install-glibc-2-28-on-linux-mint-19-3-cinnamon

Thanks for taking another look into this. Unfortunately that probably means that there will be not Cura AppImage updates for me until I switch to Mint 20.3 as debian buster is glibc 2.28 while Mint 19.3 uses glibc 2.27.

The AppImage format doesn't seem to save me from that in the case of core libraries like glibc.

https://docs.appimage.org/reference/best-practices.html#binaries-compiled-on-old-enough-base-system

Maybe I should have to look into building Cura from source. Actually, I've never checked how hard that would be.

I'm having the same issue on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS which also has glibc 2.27

We started our gradual update to new build servers in light of our next Cura release, since CentOS has reached its end of life on 31st December 2021. We have, thus, shifted and are now building on a Debian Buster docker image.

I had tested the official 4.13.1 AppImage on an Ubuntu 18.10 installation, which worked fine, so it was assumed that all stable releases that are based on Debian Buster (Linux Mint 19, Ubuntu 18.04, etc) would work fine. However it seems that 18.10 and 18.04 have different libc versions, which complicated things a bit.

I have now created a new AppImage that should work on these versions that are having the issue. @paddyulti and @GrimGreeble could you please test if it works for you? You can download it from here.

• Like 1
    • Thanks 4

Hey! Thanks a lot. I just checked and "Ultimaker_Cura-4.13.1-libc_fix.AppImage" works like a charm on Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (which is based on Ubuntu 18.04). So, I guess I'll be getting around building from source for now - but I'll probably check it out anyways.  Thanks again, great job! 🙂

• Like 1

I have ubuntu 18.04.6 LTS and Cura 4.12.1 has been fine but I haven't tried 4.13 yet.  I'm glad Ultimaker is fixing this before I even tried upgrading.  🙂

Appimage fix worked on Cinnamon.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Cura-4.13.1.AppImage: version `GLIBC_2.28' not found (required by cura)

Unfortunately the fix does not seem to be available for the 5.0 Beta now.  Any chance it could be available to allow me to Test on Linux Mint/Cinnamon.  🙂

Edited by normanmcgeoch

Problem seems to still exist on 5.0 (non-beta) version as well, doesn't seem like there's plans to fix/update to work with older. Bummer, I'm stuck on Ubuntu 18.04 for a while unfortunately. 

Edited by clb

@Vagos Hi, can you apply the same fix for version 5 Linux appimage?

What is the workaround for this on older ubuntu systems?

On 2/2/2022 at 4:56 PM, Vagos said:

We started our gradual update to new build servers in light of our next Cura release, since CentOS has reached its end of life on 31st December 2021. We have, thus, shifted and are now building on a Debian Buster docker image.

I had tested the official 4.13.1 AppImage on an Ubuntu 18.10 installation, which worked fine, so it was assumed that all stable releases that are based on Debian Buster (Linux Mint 19, Ubuntu 18.04, etc) would work fine. However it seems that 18.10 and 18.04 have different libc versions, which complicated things a bit.

I have now created a new AppImage that should work on these versions that are having the issue. @paddyulti and @GrimGreeble could you please test if it works for you? You can download it from here.

Would be nice to occasionally get a fixed Appimage with the current Cura version. Currently 5.4

Do you think it is possible? Highly appreciated. Some people are still on the old GLIBC

19 hours ago, shoe said:

Would be nice to occasionally get a fixed Appimage with the current Cura version. Currently 5.4

Do you think it is possible? Highly appreciated. Some people are still on the old GLIBC

You would need to request this on github to get attention to the issue.

here: https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/discussions

4 hours ago, Dustin said:

You would need to request this on github to get attention to the issue.

here: https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/discussions

Thanks! Can somebody suggest it. I have no Github account and am no developer - so have no clue as to what to say or where exactly to post.

Cheers!