Remote controlling the Ultimaker 3 Ext.

BGSdk

Posted · Remote controlling the Ultimaker 3 Ext.

Is there a way I can control the printer's control button remotely via the network, eg activate Print Removed and the like. My Ultimaker 3 extended is located in a workshop and I design in my office 50 mr. away. Of course I have to pass the printer to remove the print, but if I have aborted a print remote, for example, I also have to pass the printer to press Ok and that is quite annoying.

Best Regards BGS

I think maybe now there is a way.  You need ssh access to the printer so that means it has to be in developer mode and it has to be visible network-wise from where you are.  But if you have a vpn to the workshop then I think the answer is yes?

Okay reading the link below the UM3 is not supported but I think you could be a beta tester.  @Smithy can this guy try your tool with a UM3 - please read above.

Some of the commands are not useful for the UM3, like cooldown phase which doesn't exist on the UM3.

But you can use the tool on the UM3 to remotely confirm that you have removed the object. (cleanbed command)

When I wrote the tool, I did some tests with my UM3 and it worked, but I was not able to test several firmware version.

You can try it on your UM3, the command cleanbed is safe, it doesn't modify anything in the firmware, it just sends a trigger to the message bus internally.

• Like 2

Thanks for your reply, I hoped that the standard software had a solution when it claims to support network. Infact I would suggest Ultimaker to be able to display whatever is displayed on the printer remote to Ultimaker Cura.

Just to clarify - I think I was wrong about needing "developer mode" because Smithy's tool will use the existing API for this particular feature (but needs ssh for some of the other features).

You need dev mode to use the built in REST API?

@gr5 These commands are not in the REST API. I assume Smithy is sending the commands over the internal DBUS API, that's how the internal processes communicate and then you can, for example, emulate all user actions on the touch screen. For DBUS access he needs an SSH connection (there are other ways, but those are more complicated for the average user).

@CarloK is correct. That is exactly what I do, ssh into the printer and then send the command via DBUS.

On 2/20/2022 at 6:54 PM, gr5 said:

You need dev mode to use the built in REST API?

No, and I don't use the REST API at all at the moment. But I want to check it for ideas, maybe some API functions are useful for others as well, let's see....