Noob Problem

rx2mazda

Posted · Noob Problem

Hello all, Just got my ultimaker last week and its been going strong since then. I ordered the fully assembled model from MakerShed. This morning I got a max temp error and I keep getting it. Checked the wires on the top of the print head and they looked like they were touching so I moved them apart....Still getting the code. The temperature reading on the ulticontroller is bouncing all over the place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1Y3m9Q0jh8

Eventually it jumps over the limit and throws the code during prints. Whats weird is if its not printing and I just control the temp, it heats up fine and stays within a few degrees of set temp.

Do I just have a bad Thermocoupler sensor? Any info, advice or steps i can take to narrow this problem down would be greatly appreciated !

Posted · Noob Problem

Since it's only acting up while the head is moving I'd suspect a glitchy connection. I'd start by checking that the wires on top of the print head are firmly in place. It's two thin wires that go into a screw terminal on top of the print head. Also trace the other wires going from the print head along the bowden tube and make sure they're connected together solidly.

Posted · Noob Problem

Probably a loose/bad wire. Check the wires going into the green connectors on the print head board, and also the connectors where the wires leave the board to go back to the electronics. Also remove the cover over the electronics under the printer, and check the temp sensor connector there.

If that doesn't fix the problem, then there's a spare pair of wires from electronics to print head - use that one instead of the pair currently running between little green board and the electronics. Swap it at both ends - it may be the wires are damaged in the existing wore pair.

Posted · Noob Problem

Whats weird is if its not printing and I just control the temp, it heats up fine and stays within a few degrees of set temp.

Try pushing the head around while looking at the temp. Push the head to the 4 corners.

It's common for this to happen on the UM Original. It's almost always the wires at the top. Can you take a photo? They are supposed to go through an "E" shaped or "F" shaped black plastic strain relief.

Also tug and push on these wires while watching the temperature.

Posted · Noob Problem

Thanks for your responses guys !Got it working, though I'm not sure how..... which bugs me. I took printhead apart and put it back together to check all everything and also so I know how to do it, Still got the error. Switched to the secondary temp sensor, still got the error. Unscrewed the wires and put them back in, still got the error. Finally I took all the loom off the the wires that run to the print head along the bowden tube and rewrapped them, didn't get the error anymore.

I'm sure theres a messed up wire somewhere. I need to take apart the wire loom and better inspect everything. I'll find and fix the problem. In the meantime, I need this machine to make money for me so I'll just keep running it unless the problem resurfaces and forces me to fix it. I wish I would have bought the kit and put it together myself, that way I know how everything was put together. I may be in the market for another printer and if so, I'll probably buy the kit. Is there a place in the US where I can easily buy replacement parts for my Ultimaker?

Posted · Noob Problem

You could always read through the assembly guide to get a bit of a better understanding on how things go together:

http://wiki.ultimaker.com/Mechanics_build_guide

Posted · Noob Problem

Ultimaker ships through DHL which takes 3 days to USA. 3 days is not so long to wait. But the price can be high. Some parts are easy to find - sometimes people will help you if you need something specific.