Defects on my piece. I have doubts about the travel parameters and temperatures

dricog

Posted · Defects on my piece. I have doubts about the travel parameters and temperatures

Hi guys!

I need your help. I have tried to print the geometry in the photos but I have obtained some defects (highlighted in red). I don't know if the cause is the printing temperature or the build temperature or the travel parameters. I have put the file project for your revision. Please I need a clue.

Thanks!

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-22 at 10.08.43 AM.jpeg

InkedWhatsApp Image 2022-03-22 at 10.08.45 AM_LI.jpg

Prueba5.3mf

Posted · Defects on my piece. I have doubts about the travel parameters and temperatures

Zooming into your images I believe that Extruder 1 is really under-extruding the black.  Your Top/Bottom flow is at 97%.  I believe the under-extrusion is much higher than 3%.  You might not be getting enough squish.

It's an S5 so @gr5 or @Smithy may have ideas?

Untitled.thumb.png.3c947d502ac7940ef70659feb2083fd5.png

8 hours ago, GregValiant said:

Zooming into your images I believe that Extruder 1 is really under-extruding the black.

I think the same, it should be a flat surface, but you have a "structure" in it. 

Do you use a default profile or have you changed a lot of settings? 

Are the print cores clean and have you also checked the feeder and feeder tension? The marker should be in middle position.

Which filament do you use?

Can you also take a picture from the bottom of your model?

Good day guys. 

Thanks for your replies. I checked the tension in both feeders and were not in the middle position. I have already corrected it. I am going to try again and I will let you know.

The black material is tough PLA and the white material is PLA. I am testing the reproduction of this kind of geometry in the printer. 

With regard to the settings I only have changed combing and retraction parameters: combing mode within infill instead of all and retract at layer change active instead of inactive. I have played with the top/bottom and infill pattern too.

Thanks, again.

Good day guys

With the feeder tension correction the results were worst. The PLA (white material) seems like did not make all the layers. I do not know what happen, in the preview everything looks fine apparently.

Do you know how to correct this?

Regards.

229015040_WhatsAppImage2022-04-05at9_40_47AM.thumb.jpeg.e783ac7af8905a468f8cba93a3a8a8d8.jpeg932818159_WhatsAppImage2022-04-05at9_40_50AM.thumb.jpeg.e4bd6447e2a5e82077377274452fe097.jpeg

Use Cura's "File | Save Project" command and post the 3mf file here.  It's tough to tell what might be going on from the photos.  Is the white portion supposed to be flush with the top of the black?

Hi Greg

Thanks a lot for answer me. I have checked and the PLA (white material) was stuck. I have had many problems with the printer. I have a question related with the quality of the tough PLA (black material). It is normal that when I load the material extrudes like in the second and third photo?. That is the reason of the defects? I have modified the feeder tension (marker in the bottom, in the middle and in the upper position) and I have cleaned the print core and in all cases occurs the same. I do not what is happening.

I post the 3mf file here.

Thanks for your help.

1030692179_InkedWhatsAppImage2022-04-05at9_40.47AM_LI.thumb.jpg.e3e144e0c2a0d62d9650e9380ecd9f60.jpg1612044824_WhatsAppImage2022-04-05at11_41_42AM.thumb.jpeg.c8725fb69380131bbc10fcd5181ad7be.jpeg496712534_WhatsAppImage2022-04-05at11_43_03AM.thumb.jpeg.f837d09ecd2cdae662259d42754f81af.jpeg

Prueba5.3mf

I have checked and the PLA (white material) was stuck.

Is it normal that when I load the material extrudes like in the second and third photo?.

My Ender does that pretty much constantly.  It may be temperature related.  Have you printed a Temperature tower to check the best temperature for that particular filament?  Nozzle size also comes into play.  Large nozzles will ooze more but the 0.4 cores you are using will also ooze to a lessor extent than say a 0.8 nozzle.

That is the reason of the defects?

Maybe.  It is probably related to the filament and maybe moisture in the filament.  Successive layers should go down flat.  Whenever I have had something like that occur it has been with older filament.  I'm in Florida and the high humidity is a factor in the shelf life of filament.

... and I have cleaned the print core 

About once a month I go over the entire printer for maintenance.  There is always something that needs attention.  The printers work for hour after hour and things change over time.  Take your time and clean them BOTH again.

Just as an observation - you may be going for a "look" on that print, but I would think the cleaner edges that even a single outer wall would give would sharpen up the demarcation between the colors.

It's an S5 and so someone more familiar with the UM machines would be a better choice for advice.  @gr5 is a moderator here and knows these machines and @Smithy is another knowledgeable choice.

Your print head looks strange, why the Kapton tape on the bottom? Have you installed the nozzle cover correctly?