repair 3d printer ultimaker 3

Tuburni

Posted · repair 3d printer ultimaker 3

Hello. My 3D printer ultimaker son broke down. The problem is as follows: For some unknown reason, material began to climb out of the printcore, and fill itself and the print head with material. According to preliminary data, the material somewhere in the head short-circuited something. Now, when you try to turn on the 3D printer, it does not want to fully start. Basically, you can see that the red LED on the main board is on, and the two coolers in the print head start spinning. Nothing else happens.

Unfortunately, in my city, no one is engaged in the repair of 3D printers.
Can the ultimaker give any instructions?
For example, to replace some components in the printer?
Printer performance is critical to me.
I'm also interested in commercial offers for printer repair.

Posted · repair 3d printer ultimaker 3

Make sure you have a good cable connection into the print head.  Failures on the print head board alone can cause the UM3 to not boot up. It's very common for pulling forces to pull the connector right out of the print head (partially).

There are 4 longs screws.  Remove the rear 2 screws only and then a panel on the head comes off.  Make sure the cables is pushed firmly into the connector (if you choose to remove the cable beware there is a clip holding it in place that needs to be squeezed).

Actually, watch this video before doing anything: https://ultimakernasupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004226246-Printhead

Try powering up one more time.

If that doesn't work, because it sounds like you had a "head flood" there can be much damage while removing all that plastic.  I'd take the head all apart.  check all the cabling.  Try powering up with it disassembled but electrically connected.  If that still doesn't work I'd order the PCB in the print head.  It's not expensive and can be ordered separately from any reseller but for you I recommend igo3d.

Alternatively if you have time (and not a lot of money) then I'd get the "olimex serial-cable-f" and if you know linux somewhat you can look at log files and see what code is giving you errors.  This guide will tell you how to use the cable and at the bottom where to find some important log files.  Google can also help you figure out why it isn't booting.

For example one error might be bad blocks on the eMMC solid state drive.  Or some driver on the USB bus.  Or most likely the i2c code written in python (so you can read all the ultimaker written code including comments right on the UM3) is having trouble communicating with the print head.