Warped Aluminum Heating Plate

wscheivink

Posted · Warped Aluminum Heating Plate

Hello, I recently started a job as a laboratory technician and one of the labs I work on has an Ultimaker S5 with many issues.

I have since fixed much of what was wrong with the printer however, the aluminum heating plate beneath the print bed seems to be warped (see image) and I was wondering what is the best option for replacing it as I think this has been creating issues with bed adhesion especially on the non-glass print beds we used.

PXL_20220419_135907320.jpg

It could just as easily be the glass versus the plate under the glass.  Remove the glass from the heater plate and test them separately to see where the issue is.  I have personally unbent a heater plate using my fingers alone (took most of my strength) only to later realize I could have cracked a trace on the heater under there.  Fortunately no harm done in my case.

What country are you in?

Is it less than a year old?  If you don't know you can find out using only the serial number but first: what country are you in?

22 hours ago, gr5 said:

It could just as easily be the glass versus the plate under the glass.  Remove the glass from the heater plate and test them separately to see where the issue is.  I have personally unbent a heater plate using my fingers alone (took most of my strength) only to later realize I could have cracked a trace on the heater under there.  Fortunately no harm done in my case.

I was able to test the flatness of the glass and it is definitely the plate under that glass that is warped. I take it that you would not recommend that I try to unbend it with my hands even though it worked for you.

22 hours ago, gr5 said:

What country are you in?

The US

22 hours ago, gr5 said:

Is it less than a year old?  If you don't know you can find out using only the serial number but first: what country are you in?

It was purchased in 2019

If I didn't need the printer for a week (well you *can* print most materials on cold glass if you add some painters tape and clean the tape with rubbing alcohol) and had the money to buy another plate if I broke it then yeah I would try flattening it by hand (after completely removing from the printer).  I would test the resistance of the heater circuit before putting it back together (the failure mode would be that the resistance would go up drastically especially if you bend it slightly).

Contact support@fbrc8.com about getting a price quote for a new S5 heater plate.  They don't list this particular part on their website but they have prices for absolutely everything and will sell you any part (although sometimes they only sell you a particular assembly).  fbrc8 assembled your printer as they assemble all Ultimaker printers sold in USA.

Important: include the serial number of the printer in your email to save time as they will ask you for that.

@fbrc8-erin might reply here as well but best to send the email.