Sitting for 30 minutes so I can restart a print...... Please fix this.

Posted · Sitting for 30 minutes so I can restart a print...... Please fix this.

Just had a print core mismatch error. My S5 has been sitting for 40+ minutes cooling down. Once I restart it....it will take 5-10 minutes to warm up to restart the print. Please change the firmware. Sitting at my office for litterally an extra hour so I can restart a print. Frustrating.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Sitting for 30 minutes so I can restart a print...... Please fix this.

yep. Most frustrating thing in the world. I use UltiTuner which a member on here made and its excellent but doesn't/cant fix this. The most annoying thing is a probe error just as you set off a night-time job before you leave for the day. Often i have to stay back 30 minutes while i wait for the thing to cool down just to then immediately click confirm to heat up again. Its just wasted time and energy. Ive probably lost hours and hours of my life sat waiting for nothing...

Edited by Super_paulie

@Tim_Cochrane @Super_paulie Are these printers with a Material Station? And which firmware version?
    Stand-alone printers (no Material Station) do have the 'skip cool down' button, but for the Material Station we've to ensure the filament tip is in a good shape which requires the material to cool down.

Posted (edited) · Sitting for 30 minutes so I can restart a print...... Please fix this.

yes i have the material station, which is another can of worms as almost 90% of my filaments dont actually fit in the thing so i have them outside and looped in and the continuous printing from when one runs out and changes over simply doesnt work, the new filament feed never makes it to the head.

If it wasnt for the fact it makes the printer look impressive id remove it, it was a total misfire sadly.

But im kinda over the above and moved on to some of the other horrendous things that really taint an excellent printer, one of the worst being what is discussed in the thread, its the slowest thing in the world.

Say i get a probe failure, which i do maybe 25/50% of the time due to oozing getting left from the secondary core when it probes the first spot, it then takes 30 or 40 minutes to cool down before i can attempt it again. I literally just want to click retry, nothing else.

In that time ive got students stood waiting or if its an overnight job which i set off before i leave ive got to sit here in the office staring at the printer for 40 minutes just to be able to click retry. Over the time ive had the printer its been literally hours and hours lost, its pretty crazy.

I understand the technical reason for it, but if i lose 2hrs a week to it for a full year then thats an unacceptable loss for me.

Oh and im on firmware 7.0.2.0.

Edited by Super_paulie

Our s5 has the same issue with waiting to reprint once the bedplate has cooled down to 59C. We run a lot of polypropylene with a 80C bed temp, so this causes a lot of wasted time. 

Extremely frustrating, and having us looking to end our relationship with Ultimaker. 

Edited by cyclepath

@Super_paulie I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your printer. Is there a specific reason you need to print with filaments that are unable to fit in the material station? It makes me sad to hear you are not able to use it as you would have liked, and I would like to see where we can improve to make it a better experience. 

Regarding the bed probing failure: The nozzles are heated to to prevent hard bits of plastic from influencing the probe result. A bit of oozing should not lead to a failed probe. Perhaps there is something else going on. If you would be able to provide the log files I'd be more than happy to have a look. 

Best regards,

Jos

2 hours ago, cyclepath said:

Our s5 has the same issue with waiting to reprint once the bedplate has cooled down to 59C. We run a lot of polypropylene with a 80C bed temp, so this causes a lot of wasted time. 

This tool can adjust the "safe" temperature and shorten the wait time:

https://github.com/SmithyAT/UltiTuner

1 hour ago, Josnoww said:

@Super_paulie I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your printer. Is there a specific reason you need to print with filaments that are unable to fit in the material station? It makes me sad to hear you are not able to use it as you would have liked, and I would like to see where we can improve to make it a better experience. 

Regarding the bed probing failure: The nozzles are heated to to prevent hard bits of plastic from influencing the probe result. A bit of oozing should not lead to a failed probe. Perhaps there is something else going on. If you would be able to provide the log files I'd be more than happy to have a look. 

Best regards,

Jos

I'm off work for a week but I'll get a log next time I'm in. It looks to me like it probes with nozzle B, leaves a bit of ooze. Then nozzle A probes the same spot and it fails, I assumed because of the height difference due to the ooze.

The material station is just useless for us really. We run the printer all day every day during the semester and we use cheap filament due to the quantities involved. They almost universally come on spools which are too wide to sit in the station so we have to loop them out rendering the station totally pointless sadly.

IMG_20220331_125007.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 10:34 AM, Smithy said:

This tool can adjust the "safe" temperature and shorten the wait time:

https://github.com/SmithyAT/UltiTuner

Thank you so much! We have successfully updated ours with this tuner. 

• Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 3:24 AM, CarloK said:

@Tim_Cochrane @Super_paulie Are these printers with a Material Station? And which firmware version?
    Stand-alone printers (no Material Station) do have the 'skip cool down' button, but for the Material Station we've to ensure the filament tip is in a good shape which requires the material to cool down.

@Super_Paulie

My printer does not have a material station. My "skip cool down" option is not present. I have firmware 7.0.2.0. Missed dinner with my family last week because of this safety "feature". The printer works great when it does but ignoring simple interface issues such as this will not make me a return customer.

Tim

• Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 3:31 PM, Josnoww said:

Best regards,

Jos

Hi Jos, i have the logs, which one would it be that you need? this is in regards to the nozzle probe failure which happens at least a few times a day. when it fails there is a small blob of material directly underneath the probe as it comes out of the nozzle on the first probe which them bombs out the second.

thanks

@Josnoww let me know what logs you need to help diagnose, thanks!