Problem with printing with Ultimaker 2

Posted · Problem with printing with Ultimaker 2

Hi, below is the picture and video for my problem when doing a print of the milk crate. Everything was going okay with the brim layer but the model is everywhere just like in the video. I was going slow 15ms and 210 celsius with 60 celsius bed. I have no idea why this is happening. I just did the atomic method to clean the left over from the print head. I am new to this please help me. Thank you so much for your time and guidance !

6.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

7.jpg

video-1650857685.zip UM2_Milk_Crate.3mf

When printing that slow, I usually print at 190°C for PLA, otherwise it may decompose due to sitting too long in the nozzle, because the flow rate is so low.

I don't know what nozzle you have, but I would suggest taking that width as line-width (e.g. 0.4mm if it is a 0.4mm nozzle).

Also, FDM printers like to print continuously, without too much retractions. So the flow through the nozzle is nice and constant. If it has to retract a zillion times on a very short distance, filament might be grinded in the feeder.

That milk crate has lots of gaps in the side-walls, it is maybe not the best model to print on an FDM printer. If you would change the walls into solid panels, like a traditional curver-box for storage, it would probably print much better. But the walls need to be at least one line-width thick.

I would guess the problem is a bit of all this? But it is a guess, not sure.

In the beginning, stay with the printer, and watch closely what happens, how it prints. Begin with simple test prints until you get them good. Then change settings on the fly, and see what effect that has on quality, while you keep watching. For example: on the fly increase and lower speed, increase and lower temperature, etc. Increase and reduce layer-thickness. Then you will get a good idea of the upper and lower limits, and  the optimal in-between. The optimum may be different for each model, each model size, each filament. You need to develop a bit of a feeling for it, and that is best learned by closely watching it.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, geert_2 said:

When printing that slow, I usually print at 190°C for PLA, otherwise it may decompose due to sitting too long in the nozzle, because the flow rate is so low.

I don't know what nozzle you have, but I would suggest taking that width as line-width (e.g. 0.4mm if it is a 0.4mm nozzle).

Also, FDM printers like to print continuously, without too much retractions. So the flow through the nozzle is nice and constant. If it has to retract a zillion times on a very short distance, filament might be grinded in the feeder.

That milk crate has lots of gaps in the side-walls, it is maybe not the best model to print on an FDM printer. If you would change the walls into solid panels, like a traditional curver-box for storage, it would probably print much better. But the walls need to be at least one line-width thick.

I would guess the problem is a bit of all this? But it is a guess, not sure.

In the beginning, stay with the printer, and watch closely what happens, how it prints. Begin with simple test prints until you get them good. Then change settings on the fly, and see what effect that has on quality, while you keep watching. For example: on the fly increase and lower speed, increase and lower temperature, etc. Increase and reduce layer-thickness. Then you will get a good idea of the upper and lower limits, and  the optimal in-between. The optimum may be different for each model, each model size, each filament. You need to develop a bit of a feeling for it, and that is best learned by closely watching it.

Hi, should i increase the filament flow when printing? I read on some posted on google and it is said to be not advisable doing so.

problem solved, i have been choosing the wrong setting the whole time. My nozzle is .8mm but my setting was for .4mm nozzle.

• Like 2

Thanks for explaining.