Excited about Cura 5 however.....requires OpenGL 2 :(

mrrcomp

Posted · Excited about Cura 5 however.....requires OpenGL 2 :(

HI ,

I was really excited after the  showcase. I downloaded and installed the Cura 5 but my computer is a bit old and I get an error "Could not probe OpenGL This program Requres OpenGL 2.0 or higher." Went to my Dell website and there is no update for my Video Card 😞 Anyway this issue will be addressed in the future? Or do I need to upgrade hardware? Get a new video Card?? 

Regards

Meir 

OpenGL 2.0 is a standard that was released 17.5 years ago. It is highly unlikely that you are using a computer with a GPU that is incapable of OpenGL 2.0. It is much more likely that the driver for your GPU is not correctly installed.

It is also worth noting that running Cura via an "RDP" connection can lead to the same error message. It is something that is not supported by Ultimaker, but perhaps there is a workaround. Tell us more about your computer.

• Like 1

having same problem on my brand new computer with 3080ti it also shows opengl probe error and closes out on cura 5. looks more like a bug because all other virsions or cura including the latest 4.13 work without issues.

Capture.PNG

• 4 months later...
    On 4/25/2022 at 7:28 AM, nallath said:

Yeah, sorry. We've been depending on OpenGL 2.0 for some time now. Did previous versions of Cura work for you?

Cura v5.X won't launch on my Windows 10 PC, latest driver (Intel HD graphic) with OpenGL v3.2, it requires only OpenGL v2.0, so I stuck with Arachne Engine Bata 2 or 4.13.X. Maybe it's a bug with v5.x.

Same problem exactly. There is no update available for the video card in my laptop that I only use for the 3D printer. Please let me know when/if there is a workaround/fix.... Not holding my breath...!

Same problem here the previous versions of Cura all worked fine. Using a 1 year old laptop. Just tried on a 5 year old and will not run on that either!

I had the same problem with all v5.x Cura editions on Win 10 running on the ancient hp6730b notebook.

By sheer chance I found the solution. Perhaps it will work for you too.

Please follow this link  https://gist.github.com/rb-dahlb/26f316c5b6089807a139fc44ee69f0d1

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

On 10/25/2022 at 4:40 PM, Yego666 said:

I had the same problem with all v5.x Cura editions on Win 10 running on the ancient hp6730b notebook.

By sheer chance I found the solution. Perhaps it will work for you too.

Please follow this link  https://gist.github.com/rb-dahlb/26f316c5b6089807a139fc44ee69f0d1

this worked for my on dell optiplex 990 with an i7 2600 intel Hd works 100 %

• Thanks 1

It looks like a bug.

I have just upgraded from 4.13.1 to 5.2.1 and I got the same "Could not probe OpenGL. This program Requres OpenGL 2.0 or higher." error message.

After going back to 4.13.1 everything works fine again.

(I use a PC under WIN10).

Hey @JoDuff,

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community 🎉

Different versions of Cura need different versions of OpenGL. 
    That could be an explanation why 4.13 works but 5.2.1 doesn't work. 

You can learn more about which version is compatible with your OS here

https://support.makerbot.com/s/article/1667337917781

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, MariMakes said:

Different versions of Cura need different versions of OpenGL.

Er... no.

All versions of Cura since Cura 2.1 (or actually since Cura 15.06) have required OpenGL 2.0 as a minimum. Cura 5 should still work with OpenGL 2.0.

Oh! Woops. Apologies.
    I must have confused OpenGL with the other libraries 🙈

In this case I trust @ahoeben to know it better. 

Posted (edited) · Excited about Cura 5 however.....requires OpenGL 2 :(

edit: sorry, plz ignore my question. looks like my "Could not probe OpenGL" issue is caused by the f...reaking nvidia-driver not handling well, that the laptop also has an integrated intel-video chip. 😬

3D printer newbie here ... have just downloaded Cura 5.3.1. and can't start it on an 22.04 Ubuntu. 😟

more than a year after the first post and the OpenGL 2.0 bug is still an issue?

MfG

Edited by ObeliX
    • Like 1

So I am new to the forum so Hi everybody. My niece dropped a drink on my 17 r5 so while its in the shop O pulled out my latitude 6420 and went to get my printers running. updated Cura, and now it says I need Opengl 2.0 and there is no way to get it Dell, says no, Intel says no, I just can't win. its an I7 with 16 gigs of ram its not junk.......

Macs are complicated to support and a mystery to me as I can't keep track of the names of the various operating systems and hardware and such but this page should help you find a compatible version:

https://support.makerbot.com/s/article/1667337917781

Hello,

i need your quick help. Does Cura run on a Asus Zenbook UX303L with Intel Core i7-4510U 2.0GHz and NVidia 840M GPU ?

I like to buy used laptop for mobile work and i need Cura to run too.

Hope anybody can help me.

Have a look this web page: https://frank-buss.de/opengl/ 

I solve it copying mesadrv64.dll to C:\Windows\System32 and updating registry.

But Cura run a bit slower. I have an intel old graphic card and an old computer, but it´s works

Posted (edited) · Excited about Cura 5 however.....requires OpenGL 2 :(

Before you start installing shady dlls from "some site someone recommended", please try installing a recent driver for your GPU. For example this driver for the 840M GPU, straight from nvidia:

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/84891/en-us/

Edited by ahoeben

Yes, of course. That is the first step.

I'm talking about when everything is updated and it still doesn't work

Versions 3.6 and 4.7 work, 5.5 and 5.6 complain about OpenGl. So maybe something changed in the way you detect it in verions 5.x?